AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to the satellite TV world and I've been studying the info I can find. I want to subscribe this month on the specials that are going on but I want to make sure I buy efficiently for future enhancements.

For now I want a 2 room package, both with DTivos utilizing the dual tuner capability.

But in the future I'd like to add an HD D* receiver and OTA HD capability to one of the rooms above. Additionally I may want to expand into two more rooms with standard receivers.

What hardware should I buy now as a new subscriber with no existing equipment? I don't want to install it myself. From what I've been reading, I think I need:

Now:

- Oval dish with Dual LNBs and no integrated multiswitch

- One 5x8 multiswitch (what type?)

- DTivos

Later:

- Sat-C kit (LNB and combiner?)

- OTA antenna

- HD Receiver (what type, brand?)

Anything else I need to consider? Cabling issues? Should I get a Triple LNB dish if it's all the same price?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Most new dishes will come with all three LNB's installed and a built in 4 output switch. That's enough to drive two DirecTivos. When you get you HD and other receivers later, you will need a 5x8 cascadable switch or a regular 5x8 switch and 2 22Khz tone injectors. This will give you enough outputs for two DirecTivos and four regular recievers.

-Robert

·
Registered
181 Posts
So, to add a little to Robert's answer, just get a new oval dish now, but run the four leads from it to a place where you can add a multiswitch and conveniently distribute the coax wiring throughout your house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.