AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of new to the HDTV thing here guys, I have a couple of questions. I bought a Sony 43" HDTV ready RPTV . I have a standard dual LNB DTV system now with UTV and a Sony receiver. WHat do I need now to start getting some of the High Definiton stations available. I understand that I need a HDTV receiver and I have to change my dish to an oval one ? Is it wise to buy now or wait to the merger if it goes through ? Need some advice on what to buy and where to shop. Thanks for any help I can get.

John

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
It is not necessary to wait for the merger. It has been announced that once the merged company decides what technology they will continue with, they will replace the non compatable equipment with comparable equipment in the chosen format.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well John here goes the can of worms. Personally I would try to find a Sony HD100 stb for I think it is the best stb for a 4x3 tv like yours. Also you wont have to switch inputs for HD/SD. They have been discountinued but Circuit City and others are a good place to look as there are open boxes for discounted prices. Do a search for the different stb's as everyone youll see has there likes and dislikes about all the stb's.

Chris

·
Registered
734 Posts
To answer your other questions, you will need an HD receiver (also known as a Set Top Box or STB) and an 18"x24" oval dish. The newest dishes are "triple LNB" dishes that receive signals from the 101, 119 and the 110 satellites. There are rumors that DirecTV wll be moving all of their HD content to the 110 satellite.

This setup will get you HDNet, HBO-HD and Showtime-HD. If the broadcasters in your area are broadcasting HDTV, you will also need a UHF (and/or possibly a VHF antenna) in order to receiver those broadcasts OTA (Over The Air).

See the HDTV FAQ at the top of the forum page.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.