AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a directv HD DVR. I sometimes record entire seasons of shows in HD, or movies. instead of recording say, a full season of "House," watching it, deleting it, then buying the season a year later for $40, I would like to just be able to burn the episodes of House from my DVR onto blu ray discs, or burn movies onto blu ray disc.

That is to say I want to burn the 1080i films and series onto blu ray discs. Some have said in the past that I'd be better off just getting a DVR with more storage, that's not really what I'm looking for. Storage isn't entirely the issue. I just want to put things on a disc.

So what type of "player" or machine do I need to get in order to do this?

thnkks

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
to do it right you need to buy the hauppauge dvr recorder box that converts the component output and optical output of your DVR into a digital stream connected via USB to your computer. The box come with arcsoft video capture software. you must then record at a minimum of 13 Mbps bitrate to have it look exactly like it does on your DVR. For a one hour program, it may fit on a doublelayer DVD disc (8.5GB). you will need to have the software save it as a .ts file. Then you will have to use tsmuxer to remux the file into a bluray disc file format, and then use IMgburn to burn it onto the disc. Please be advised that it takes a very fast computer to be able to capture the video and 5.1 sound on anything over an 8 Mbps bitrate. My hauppauge box is sitting here doing nothing while i ponder buying a new computer that is faster than what i have so i can encode at a higher bitrate. on my current laptop, a 2Ghz centrino computer, encoding over 8Mbps uses 100% of the cpu and causes stuttering and skipping in the file product.

here is a link to it on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212...9228064&sr=8-2

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.