AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own the Sharp LC-37G4U (HD-Ready TV) and I am interested in getting the few broadcasts that Comcast sends out through it's cable in HDTV without paying/renting the box from them.

So...What do I need to decode my Comcast Cable for HDTV?

Does anyone have experience with this...?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Well, if you don't want to rent the box, then you have two choices.

1. If your box has a Cable Card tuner, then you can get a Cable card from Comcast and that will allow your TV to tune in their digital cable channels (which usually include the HDTV channels)

2. Buy a separate QAM capable tuner box and it will tune in any unencrypted HD channels that your Comcast might be carrying. Search your local thread to see if anyone in your area's same Comcast system is already doing this. That way you know what channels you can expect to receive.

Then of course there is the route of using Comcast's own STB, but you have ruled that out.

Since this thread is not about HDTV Programming, if may be moved later on by admins to your local thread or to the hardware forum.

Good luck

·
Registered
483 Posts
"HD Ready" implies that the Sharp LC-37G4U has an internal ATSC/QAM tuner. Check your manual to be sure. If it does, just connect a split of the CATV feed directly into the correct "antenna/cable" connector and have the set do a scan to look for signals.

Any ATSC digital, or more likely QAM but not encrypted signals, should come up in the "found" signal memory. Generally that will only be the "off air" HD locals, and maybe one or two HD cable channels that are thrown in free and thus not encrypted. You may also get a lot of "blank" channels which are the QAM channels that are encrypted. If you want these you will need either a cable card, if the Sharp has a cable card slot, or the CATV providers set top box as Cyclone pointed out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
[

Since this thread is not about HDTV Programming, if may be moved later on by admins to your local thread or to the hardware forum.

Good luck[/quote]

already posted in those forums

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.