AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried for the third time to simultaneously find the 101 and 119 degree satellites and once again failed miserably. So I locked into the 101 satellite and am resigned to putting up a second dish to pick up 119. A few questions for the kind souls in the forum who help:

1) A friend said I could have her old round dish. I can use this to pull in the 119 signal, right?

2) I already have the multiswitch attached to the back of the elliptical dish. Is is best for me to run coaxial cable from the round dish into a diplexer or is there some way to run the cables into the multiswitch?

Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you have the right multiswitch it is a 4 input 4 output

you hook the two coax from both LNAs to one of the inputs then run one output two each STB.

In order two pick up 101 and 119 with one dish you have to have the dual LNA elliptical dish and the 4 by 4 switch.

Rumor has it that any new HDTV that DirecTV transmits will be on 110. This takes a third LNA, the Sat C kit, that mounts on the elliptical dish. Note this is just a rumor and may not be true

------------------

Rudy
My Home Theater

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in MA, and I can get the two SATs. In fact I got a meter and did it myself since the installer did a poor job. I get a 91% on the 101 and a 78% (sometimes 68%) on the 119.

In Texas, you should get a much better signal on both. I am really surprised you should get a fairly strong signal on the 119 by aiming directly at the 101. If I aim at the 101 (95-97%), I get in the 50's for the 119.

One important thing the installer did not do correctly (even though he said he did ~150 eliptical dishes) is set the TILT. He had the tilt at ~60 when it was supposed to be 56.17.

The other issue I had was I have some old SONY receivers (SAT B2's) and an old digital switch. I could not have the leads from the switch that came with the new dish run down and share the old switch with the old recivers. I had major signal problems with the SAT's jumping all over the place. So have an old dish pointing to the 101 for the old receivers, and the eliptical for the new Panasonic HDS20.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rudy said <you hook the two coax from both LNAs to one of the inputs>. He meant that each LNA is hooked to a separate input on the multiswitch, one to "Sat A", and one to "Sat B". Make double sure your base is vertical. Place a level on the flat, vertical section at the top of the mast. Tilt the mast until the horizontal bubble is centered. Rotate the level 90 degrees on the mast and center again. Adjust tilt to factory specs. Set your azimuth slightly high to allow for sag. Then scan East-West. Helps to have a monitor where you can see it from the dish. This method has worked twice for me. You don't need the second dish.

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
I goofed. Hook up all four cables from the LNAs to the multiswitch. Two to Sat A inputs and two to Sat B.

------------------

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.