AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have zero experience with them, having used a Sony LCoS for the last 9 years.

Anyway, this LG ( 60PB6650 ) is arriving Thursday. I'd like to be armed with some info and knowledge on how to dial this thing in for the best picture.

Can anyone help with some pointers, links and/or wisdom?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
993 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Everything you need at the user level is built in to the LG plasma smart TV's, but not the 5600 (I have a 6900 and 5600). Use the Wizard early and often to set contrast, brightness, color and tint. When the ideal values stop drifting, you're not only broken in, you're fairly well optimized.

The HD 709 disk is intended for someone with calibration capability. Unless you have a colorimeter and the software / expertise to use it correctly, I'd shy away from anything more that it provides beyond what the Wizard already gives you.

If you search this forum, you'll find threads regarding basic set-ups, things you can do under the covers, and reports of professional calibration results. I've done all three based on what I've learned.

The only knock on this PDP is blacks, either the level's too low or the contrast is too high.
- You can move the black level a little (about 0.01 ft-L) by pulling the rear cover and making adjustments.
- You can get improved shadow detail by having your display calibrated to the BT.1886 standard.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
Everything you need at the user level is built in to the LG plasma smart TV's, but not the 5600 (I have a 6900 and 5600). Use the Wizard early and often to set contrast, brightness, color and tint. When the ideal values stop drifting, you're not only broken in, you're fairly well optimized.

The HD 709 disk is intended for someone with calibration capability. Unless you have a colorimeter and the software / expertise to use it correctly, I'd shy away from anything more that it provides beyond what the Wizard already gives you.

If you search this forum, you'll find threads regarding basic set-ups, things you can do under the covers, and reports of professional calibration results. I've done all three based on what I've learned.

The only knock on this PDP is blacks, either the level's too low or the contrast is too high.
- You can move the black level a little (about 0.01 ft-L) by pulling the rear cover and making adjustments.
- You can get improved shadow detail by having your display calibrated to the BT.1886 standard.

Have fun,
Frank
There are basic patterns for setting brightness, contrast, sharpness on avs709 that don't require a meter and software.

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
Have you validated the picture wizard vs a reference calibration disc ?

Given LGs pq track record that might be wise

·
Registered
326 Posts
Depends on the sources you use. Video games, Blur ray player, older resolution devices. Test them all out and see if the LG works for you. Sometimes I find myself personally trying all brands to see which handles certain content from 480p-1080p looks great.

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
Before posting, ask yourself: Does this post have any value to the OP?
You are guidingg him towards the picture wizard which is fine, I'm offering an informed counter opinion. I've been around here for quite some know both plasmas and calibration. We will just agree to disagree, I think a disc like avs709, Spears and Munsil or Disney WOW is a level above the picture wizard , thats my opinion and I have every right to express it.

Reactions: StinDaWg

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Actually, gentlemen, I was guiding the OP to something he already has, that will do the job as well, for free, with no effort on his part. That's the value to the OP.

I'm not going to disagree that a disk like avs709 is "a level above the picture wizard" but rather point out that the OP won't benefit from the added features. What you've suggested is a waste of the OP's time. Adding in the snarky calibration comment made it deserving of a reply. Reducing snarkiness has value to the forum.

Finally, I'm speaking as an owner of the product in question, who is intimitely familiar with this set's picture wizard, as well as calibration discs, who has also had his display ISF calibrated. When I say that the picture wizard has "everything you need at the user level" it's not an opinion, it's an observation, one that directly assists the OP.

Have fun,
Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts