AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about building 2 sonotubes from ED's 18 inch drivers. How much sonotube do I get, what length ports, and where do I get this stuff. Once I know what I need can someone post a link to a step by step sonotube build? I can not build a thing but my friend can. Right now I have 2 dual 18's and 2 18 inch horn subs. I was thinking of replacing the horns with these since my 18 double cabs can hit 120 db's at 18 hz already. I was thinking of adding the lower end to it. I hit 105 db's at 5 hz now(no spl corrections) so that added to these should boost the low end. I do not need more 40hz and above output. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
You already have 120db at 18hz (at listening position?) and you want more low end? You're going to need to get a little more "crazy" than two eD18's if you want to produce +120db

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links. I know I am hitting alot of spl right now and don't need more, I guess I just want to fill in the gap wher my horns will leave behind. The horns were very powerful from 40-80hz and the sonotube's will not match them up there. But the dual 18's do well up there, very well. I guess I will just see what happens. I will post pics and let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
After you've finished your two, you can always build two more if the need be

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
the EDv9 is not the greatest large sonotube driver....keep that in mind. An RL-P18, or a Q18, or a used avalanche 18" would work much much better.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ssabripo, out of those drivers, which one would you pick? I know you have the avalanche drivers but can I find them?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I vote for RL-p18's.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'd go for an RL-P18. I have one.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What specs should I look for in drivers? Any very efficient drivers that could do the job?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/12957749

What specs should I look for in drivers? Any very efficient drivers that could do the job?

Well, if you want LOTS of deep bass

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I am on the right track thinking 6ft plus sontube with 18 inch driver. Is the Vmax the spec to look for excursion? I have a 600 watt per channel I will use. I am still wondering if the ED 18 or pro drivers will do? I am also looking at the Q18 and the RPL-18. Anyone try a pro driver like the JBL professional drivers? How do I know If a driver can produce 12-25 hz? Thanks

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/12962857

I guess I am on the right track thinking 6ft plus sontube with 18 inch driver. Is the Vmax the spec to look for excursion? I have a 600 watt per channel I will use. I am still wondering if the ED 18 or pro drivers will do? I am also looking at the Q18 and the RPL-18. Anyone try a pro driver like the JBL professional drivers? How do I know If a driver can produce 12-25 hz? Thanks

RL-P18 and Q18 displace way more air than the JBL's. You want to find a driver with a high xmax.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK guys. I want to build a 6 ft tall sonosub at 28 inches wide. I think the port will be 30-36 inches long and 8 inches wide. Without knowing which driver I am getting yet is this OK to due or Do I need to know which driver I am using? They don't have to be the best. These will be running with my 2 dual 18's which are fantastic from 18-80 hz. I am doing this because I have an extra 2 channel 600 watt per channel amp I am not using right now. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts