AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose I need a VGA to S-Video or VGA to composite converter. Any idea where I could get such a thing? My projector is on the fritz and it would be nice to be able to watch DVD's on the "little tv."

S.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Do a WEB search. there are countless products that convert VGA to NTSC video. From $100 up to tens of thousands. Some VGA cards have option modules as well that can add this feature.

No matter how much you spend though, the quality is never very good compared to your projector. That's just NTSC.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Do a search engine search on word focus or focus Gold, their 0 will have crosshairs like a telescope on a rifle would have. Several models pick out the one for you, they're reasonably priced. Use I/R technology for your keyboard an s-video into what ever TV you have. Good Luck on getting your projector fixed.:)

·
Registered
259 Posts
If your thinking about spending $100+ on a VGA converter for just a temporary solution, you might instead consider just getting an inexpensive video card with an S-video out. Just a thought.

-James

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Spotter, for $40 you can get the Hollywood+ hardware DVD decoder board in OEM form (Board/cables/CD-ROM). That price can't be beat and you'll have both Composite and S-video outputs that cannot be equalled by any video board at any price, and both analog stereo and digital sound outputs that are equally pristine. When you are done with it, you should still be able to sell it for $40, making your cost zero. Or perhaps, like me, you'll find that it makes a very stable/dependable backup DVD player when one of your software players obstinately refuses to function.

Gary

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I buy this at retail, or do I need to order it over the net? I would like to get it asap, as I am out of the DVD biz until I get it and put it in.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I can't explicitly answer your question - your profile does not include any location information. Here in Silicon Valley we have lots of PC integrators - mostly run by Taiwanse, and on practically every street corner. OEM parts are sold over-the-counter for very cheap prices.

The Hollywood+ is also sold in retail packaging with the name changed - but look for a logo that says "REALmagic Inside!". This will probably cost more than $40, and sometimes they throw in the Remote Control which normally costs another $20 on the Web. The LEAST desirable way to buy the board is in a Creative Labs DXR3 DVD kit - because they change the PCI product ID and then you must use the Creative Labs software which is updated far less frequently,

You will need a free PCI slot - but nothing else, as they will give you stereo audio and S-dideo cables and an S-video to composite converter, plus the manual and the CD-ROM (actually, the last one I used came with a "free" movie on one side of a DVD, and the software on the other side of the "flipper" DVD). Once you get the projector up again, you may want to forego use of the passthrough VGA cable if you notice ghosting (which doesn't always happen) - but I've got both WinDVD (for movies) and CineMaster (for video DVDs) and the Hollywood+ all on one HTPC, no conflicts. Good Luck!

Gary

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I bought my Hollywood+ at CompUSA a year or so ago, and another off of eBay, though eBay is slow. Dell looks like it has them for $62, do a search on their site.

Make sure it has its own interrupt. And it likes Win9X better than NT/2000/XP. But it sends out a picture to a POTS (plain old tv set) better than anything else.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
For ease of use you can't beat the TV View gold scan converter, you don't have to open up your PC, you can set it up very quick. In fact I have one doing nothing if you'd like to take it off my hands for a reasonable offer.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Email me or PM me and we can discuss it if you like. I promise not to take all of your milk money!

I can tell you it will be more than a dime but less than a thousand... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.