AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to take the dive and order up a umik-1 with my mini DSP. I know very little when it comes to computers and what is required to run REW. Could someone help pick out a lap top from the link that would be capable to run REW. I have no idea when it comes to sound cards ect? Cheaper is better as the only thing this lap top will be used for is REW and the mini DSP set up.

Second question is do I need to buy anything else with the laptop other than the mic to run REW? I already have a SPL meter.

Thanks for any help

http://www.staples.ca/en/Laptop-Computers/cat_CL200591_2-CA_1_20001?sby=1

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The laptop needs USB to input from the UMIK. And you would probably use USB or HDMI to send test signals to the audio system.

You mention miniDSP, but not which model.

And the laptop needs to send REW test signals to the audio system.

If you are testing a homey theater setup you probably want to have HDMI output on the laptop.

If testing stereo, you have the choices of analog or digital from the laptop to the system. Laptop analog may or may not be good enough, some are noisy. Digital could be via USB, Optical, or Coaxial.

What digital inputs does your audio gear have? If you choose to use digital you might need a converter - typically convert the laptop USB to Optical or Coaxial to the audio system, unless it has an appropriate USB input itself.

So you'll need a cable to connect from the laptop to the audio system, too.

Think some more, list your gear.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The laptop needs USB to input from the UMIK. And you would probably use USB or HDMI to send test signals to the audio system.

You mention miniDSP, but not which model.

And the laptop needs to send REW test signals to the audio system.

If you are testing a homey theater setup you probably want to have HDMI output on the laptop.

If testing stereo, you have the choices of analog or digital from the laptop to the system. Laptop analog may or may not be good enough, some are noisy. Digital could be via USB, Optical, or Coaxial.

What digital inputs does your audio gear have? If you choose to use digital you might need a converter - typically convert the laptop USB to Optical or Coaxial to the audio system, unless it has an appropriate USB input itself.

So you'll need a cable to connect from the laptop to the audio system, too.

Think some more, list your gear.

My gear is in my sig but I don't know if that shows up when browsing on a phone. its' for a home theater so I have all inputs available you listed.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
REW doesn't have any special computational needs that I know of.

UMIK-1 via USB and your choice of methods (analog/USB/HDMI/SPDIF) to send the test tones to the DUT.

Select your connectivity in REW Preferences.

Since it's for Home Theater make sure you have HDMI on laptop.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Do you already own a laptop? I run REW on an old Toshiba Satellite running Linux, 3.5mm -> dual RCA from the headphone jack works just fine. Would prefer HDMI out but not necessary for 2ch stereo measurements.

What are you trying to EQ? Just sub(s), front L/R or an entire 5./7.x setup?

BTW, the link you provided doesn't look like it works outside of Canada, requires a postal code.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do you already own a laptop? I run REW on an old Toshiba Satellite running Linux, 3.5mm -> dual RCA from the headphone jack works just fine. Would prefer HDMI out but not necessary for 2ch stereo measurements.

What are you trying to EQ? Just sub(s), front L/R or an entire 5./7.x setup?

BTW, the link you provided doesn't look like it works outside of Canada, requires a postal code.
If you wanted to look you can use s0k 0m0 as the postal code it's the same for my entire town. I do not own one sadly, but it looks like I could pick the cheapest one with a usb in and a HDMI out. I wasn't sure how sound cards and all that worked. I can surf the net and check email and thats about it. REW will be a steep learning curve for me

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to find a laptop without USB these days, so that shouldn't be a problem.

HDMI or other digital S/PDIF (optical or coax) out if you need to run multi-channel sweeps. Optical/coax would be pretty rare to find on a laptop, outside of an external USB sound card.

As REW is a Java program, the more memory (RAM) the better - I would look for something with at least 2GB, 4 would be better.

Processing power and disk size are not much of a concern for REW.

Find one that fits your budget with HDMI out and 2 - 4GB RAM, you'll be set for pretty much anything you want to do.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If you wanted to look you can use s0k 0m0 as the postal code it's the same for my entire town. I do not own one sadly, but it looks like I could pick the cheapest one with a usb in and a HDMI out. I wasn't sure how sound cards and all that worked. I can surf the net and check email and thats about it. REW will be a steep learning curve for me
Are you using an AVR or pre-pro with HDMI inputs? If so, a laptop with HDMI output would be a good choice. AVS user AustinJerry has written a PDF document explaining how to set up a USB mic using HDMI for the signal source. He updates it from time to time. The post containing a link to this file is here.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I am going to take the dive and order up a umik-1 with my mini DSP. I know very little when it comes to computers and what is required to run REW. Could someone help pick out a lap top from the link that would be capable to run REW. I have no idea when it comes to sound cards ect? Cheaper is better as the only thing this lap top will be used for is REW and the mini DSP set up.

Second question is do I need to buy anything else with the laptop other than the mic to run REW? I already have a SPL meter.

Thanks for any help

http://www.staples.ca/en/Laptop-Computers/cat_CL200591_2-CA_1_20001?sby=1
What are you using to post here?

Laptop is not a requirement if you have a desktop...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are you using to post here?

Laptop is not a requirement if you have a desktop...
A desktop but i have a four level split and there literally at opposite ends from each other.

Thanks for all the links everybody I am sure it will come in handy when I get everything together

1 - 13 of 13 Posts