Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am buying a new house and one of the options is to install a 5.1 HT sys. It consists of 5 "Speakercraft" Aim 3 in-ceiling speakers and the tunable Speakercraft 12" sub (i.e. adjustable SPL and crossover freq.)

Because of budget constrants I plan on purchasing the Denon AVR-982 for processing / amplification duties.

What equipment do I need to tune my system??? I understand I need the Radioshack SPL meter, but what else do I need??? I know I need to use the search function, but I am not sure exactly what key words to use. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm considering buying the NEW Behringer ULTRA-CURVE PRO DEQ2496, but I think this is only for 2 channels. How would I implement this EQ to a 5 channel sys???

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...Q2496&lang=eng

My goal is to get the most accurate response from my speakers and to blend the sub with them as much as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

Daniel

·
Registered
468 Posts
You're halfway there. In addition to your SPL meter, all you need is a test DVD - something like the Avia DVD (I think it's called Guide to Home Theater or something like that - there are others available, too).

As for the EQ, I'd leave it out of the chain until you determine that it's absolutely necessary for your sanity. There are some very inexpenzive room treatments (like the Jon Risch bass traps) that should allow you to avoid an EQ altogether.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you want to spend a little more you can go for a Behringer ECM-1000 measurement microphone and a Mic Pre-Amp (you need it to supply power to the mic) ( www.behringer.com ) in combination with some RTA software. I have this setup and use TrueRTA level 4 ( http://www.trueaudio.com/ ).

Works great. My subwoofer is now flat (+/- 2db) from 15 to 80 Hz. I'm using the Behringer 8024 for my sub.

Wes

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy Smokes...flat to 15Hz

Mooney,

Do you use the TrueRTA as an analyzer, then the Behringer for EQ duties???

Thanks for the info (I've already bookmarked "trueaudio.com")

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
drcruz,

Ya, I'm using TrueRTA as an analyser due to the increased resolution (1/24th octave)over the Behringer 8024 (1/3 octave). The downside to this is that I needed to buy a mic preamp, which I didnt need if I only used the 8024. Money, shmoney...... Unfortunately I learned alot about equalization AFTER I purcahsed and realized that parametric is the way to go. So, Im just using the 3 band parametric in the 8024 for subwoofer equalization only. As soon as the new Behringer 2496 parametric comes out I'll be using it on my mains. I tried using the 8024 for full range stereo but its a little edgy for me.....

I have to say that flattening the response of the subwoofer was dramatic, to say the least. Just by moving it around the room and applying eq I fixed a couple of 12-20 db dips and peaks. Ya, flat to 15 Hz is quite impressive, even if I cant hear that low........

I'd say that the RTA setup has been my best investment so far. Amp upgrades etc seem to give subtle improvements whereas the improvements by proper setup of my entire theatre audio system by using the RTA have been dramatic.

Wes

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wes (Mooney-A),

Last set of questions...

How exactly do you plug in your 8024, is it preamp to 8024 to sub??? And what would be your educated guess for plugging in the new 2496, is it preamp to 2496 to amp to speakers??? How many channels does the 8024 and future 2496 handle???

Thank you sir very much for the info... :)

Daniel

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you want you system to sound good the most important thing you need is.... a tape measure.

No amount of room treatments or equilizers will overcome lousy room setup and speaker positioning.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you Bill. Unfortunately I will not be putting in the in-ceiling speakers. I just have to make sure the listening position is centered to them, at least the speakers are aimable.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Daniel,

You're correct that my 8024 (stereo) is b/w my pre and sub.

Bill

I aggree, but equalization can make a very good room/system even better.

Wes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.