AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I'm attempting to building a prototype sound system. But I need help with one critical piece, so maybe someone can point me towards the right equipment that can do what I'm thinking of, because I'm a newbie with audio eqipment. It's probable that what the critical part of the system does has been done already, that would be great.

I need to take an audio input signal (not music or voice) and use its frequency and amplitude to "map" to, and then output a separate pre-recorded audio signal at a relative frequency and amplitude. For example, the input signal could range from 500Hz to 5KHz in freq and from 80dB to 95dB. The pre recorded output ranges from 3KHz to 20KHz, and from 100Db to 125Db. The input signal would vary in freq and amplitude in real time, this "something" device, would (be programmed to?) take the instantaneous input, then play (or probably loop) the output from a relative point in the output sound map (also not music or voice).

So for example I would mic a power drill, varying the speed. Then what comes out of the speakers is the sound of a chainsaw which mirrors the power drill sound, but in its own relative range, volume and tone.

The reason for the mapping part is that the recorded output varies in tone depending on the freq and volume. A chainsaw's tone is different at idle than it is at full throttle. So I don't want to output one sound and electronically change its pitch and volume. And I likely would have many maps of the output sound, that this "thing" would pull from, depending on characteristics of the input signal.

That's the basic part. Is there a name for this and or equipment that does this? Can DSP software do this? Or can you point me to the right kind of forum to ask about this stuff?

Thanks for any help anyone could offer.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
I think you are describing sound synthesis . Google will turn up a lot of useful links, like the one I found. Luckily, computers can do this stuff easily, once you find the right programs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.