AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a DVD player. I own a Onkyo 702 receiver and I have speakers on the way. I am a virgin so be gentle.

I don't want to waste money on anything I don't need. I want to make sure whatever I buy plays all formats I will ever need (playable through my receiver).

I want to use my receiver to it's best potential and my current DVD player has no optical input!

What do I need to get?

I'm not concerned with multi-disk players. I hate it when the changers go bad! I have never spent a decent amount of money on a DVD player so I can't say they would break (if I did). At the same time, I don't really need the functionality of it so I'd rather cut some corners where ever applicable.

What are some functions out there that really set DVD players apart? They seem like simple pieces of equipment. Why do the prices vary so much?

Thanks for helping a rookie out,

Very respectfully,

Bruce

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Can you tell us if your using a projector, tv, HDTV, etc.... with this new DVD Player?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't even bought the TV yet.

It's going to be my last purchase. I see the prices keep dropping every second on bigger and better TV's. The last thing I want is to spend $3000 on a TV and see the pirce cut in half in a little over a year.

Right now I'm using a old, small tv....S video and component inputs.....ADVENT flatscreen.

I'm poor so I'm budgeting this project. My main focus was on the receiver and the speakers. I'm not getting the TV for (probably) another year. When I do buy my TV, I'll probably budget out about $3000. I'll obviously look for the best out there for the pirce I have to spend. I'm going to look for a balance between size and clarity (as I'm obviously leaning towards a nice resolution).

I hope this helps as I'm sure it won't.

Thanks for your quick response.

Bruce

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
You really should choose your display first, since it will influence which DVD player is best for you. With your current TV, I'd just keep using your curent DVD player. Then, by the time you're ready, HD DVD players will be available.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let's say he bought a Panny AE700u projector (native 720p)

Should he go with the Panny DVD-S77 ($200) or the S97 ($300)

I can't find a good comparison sheet... just heard that the S77 doesn't support PAL

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you're looking for something cheap and does deinterlacing/scaling ... and are looking for a receiver as well, Philips DFR9000 may be your ticket -

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think I'm going to go with the Panasonic DVD-S77. It's $100 less than the S97 and I can't figure out what I'd be missing with the S77 instead of the S97... :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47
If you're looking for something cheap and does deinterlacing/scaling ... and are looking for a receiver as well, Philips DFR9000 may be your ticket -

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any recommendations on televisions?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KETA144
I already have a receiver:

Onkyo 702 receiver

I just bought this one, I'm not looking at getting another one anytime soon. I figured since HDTV is becomming standardized, it would be stupid to buy one right now.

Don't I need that Optical cable for something? Dolby Digital?

Can I use COAX to get the same effect?

All I have is a component and a s-video output on my DVD player. Will I be able to take advantage of my Dolby Digital EX, THX EX, AND DTS? Will I need to get another DVD player to support these formats?
I only use DFR as a deinterlacer when I'm playing video materials ... some people may think that it is a bit extravagant but it's USD800 only ... anyway

Coaxial digital out and optical digital out are the same - use either. Both will let you enjoy DD EX, THX ... thro' your receiver. Use optical if you experienced humming and ground loop.

s-video and component outs are for video only, nothing to do with audio

·
Registered
640 Posts
i just picked up a denon 1910 for 80 bucks new... so far i love the picture. i am feeding it into my dvdo hd+ and then into my mits rptv and later into my nec 10pg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47
I only use DFR as a deinterlacer when I'm playing video materials ... some people may think that it is a bit extravagant but it's USD800 only ... anyway

Coaxial digital out and optical digital out are the same - use either. Both will let you enjoy DD EX, THX ... thro' your receiver. Use optical if you experienced humming and ground loop.

s-video and component outs are for video only, nothing to do with audio
I don't even know what a deinterlacer does. Is it for upconversion? How would it help and how much?

Thanks for the component video explaination. I figured as much. I was afraid to ask until now (for fear of laughter)...LOL :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomrat
i just picked up a denon 1910 for 80 bucks new... so far i love the picture. i am feeding it into my dvdo hd+ and then into my mits rptv and later into my nec 10pg
I need a translator: LOL

·
Registered
640 Posts
translation..

denon dvd-1910 dvd player (video source)

dvdo hd+ video scaler (scales the video.. 480i to 1080i)

mitsubishi rptv rear projection tv, crt type ws55711 (1080i)

nec 10pg front projection tv, crt type nec 10pg (1080p)

dvdo scales the picture to best meet the tv's native resolution.

mitsubishi rptv, i use this for normal television viewing to keep the wear down on the front projector.

nec 10pg is the front projector, i use this for the movie watching. its not being used right now, i am building my home theater.

so far i like this denon dvd player, plus there is a dongle that you can put on the dvi ouput to strip out the hdcp. very few players have this option. i am also in the process to figure out the sdi output mod for this player.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
translation..

denon dvd-1910 dvd player (video source)

dvdo hd+ video scaler (scales the video.. 480i to 1080i)

mitsubishi rptv rear projection tv, crt type ws55711 (1080i)

nec 10pg front projection tv, crt type nec 10pg (1080p)

dvdo scales the picture to best meet the tv's native resolution.

mitsubishi rptv, i use this for normal television viewing to keep the wear down on the front projector.

nec 10pg is the front projector, i use this for the movie watching. its not being used right now, i am building my home theater.

so far i like this denon dvd player, plus there is a dongle that you can put on the dvi ouput to strip out the hdcp. very few players have this option. i am also in the process to figure out the sdi output mod for this player.
Translation was great!!!! Thanks!!!

Now can you translate the rest of what you wrote? :D

I have read some things about HDCP and SDI. What are you referring to when you say "strip it out". What will this mod do?

Have you had any problems with your Mitsubishi TV? With the exception of plasma, if you could purchase any TV out there (for normal wear) (2500 top price), what would you get?

·
Registered
640 Posts
if you use sdi modded dvd player into a sdi input capable scaler , you don't have to worry about macrovision or hdcp... the sdi mod gets the single off of the mpeg decoder.. i have no problems watching stuff on my rear projection tv right now.

i just picked up the dvi dongle that defeats the hdcp also and it works great too. my scaler picked up all dvi resolutions with no problem. 480p 720p 1080i.

i took the dongle apart and i am reverse engineering it now to see how it works.

so far its pretty cool.

for normal wear tv's i love my mitsubishi tv. its crt, and a most excellent picture. the only downfall it dosent have dvi, hdmi. but it has a hd off air tuner built in. i leave my tv on most of the time and still getting a great picture after 3 years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
if you use sdi modded dvd player into a sdi input capable scaler , you don't have to worry about macrovision or hdcp... the sdi mod gets the single off of the mpeg decoder.. i have no problems watching stuff on my rear projection tv right now.

i just picked up the dvi dongle that defeats the hdcp also and it works great too. my scaler picked up all dvi resolutions with no problem. 480p 720p 1080i.

i took the dongle apart and i am reverse engineering it now to see how it works.

so far its pretty cool.

for normal wear tv's i love my mitsubishi tv. its crt, and a most excellent picture. the only downfall it dosent have dvi, hdmi. but it has a hd off air tuner built in. i leave my tv on most of the time and still getting a great picture after 3 years.

I don't want to have to mod anything if possible..

I want a TV that will last me at least 5 years... I want a dvd player that will play what ever resolution I want.

I want my dvd player to create an incredible picture and much like the TV, I want it to last more than 3 years. I want the picture to impress me. I want it to impress others as well. I have 3000 I am willing to spend on a TV and DVD player. If I need to buy a seperate piece of equipment to do my scaling, I'll do it! I want it to be HD. I don't care about a tuner as I don't care (at all). My ONLY use will be for DVD's. I don't want to buy something and then hate it a year down the road for breaking down.

Is this possible with the gear out there these days?

So many people have so many complaints about so many pieces of equipment. Is there anything out there that I can count on? What companies have the least amount of returns?

I went to CC.... I actually had one of the sales-people show me the returns of the sold TV's. IT FREAKED ME OUT! Not only did it have the number of returns, it had the number of sales right next to it. Most companies had a 33% return rate. With all of the difficulties getting your returns back, I am really leary jumping into the market right now!

Anyone know of a solid set-up?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KETA144
The last thing I want is to spend $3000 on a TV and see the pirce cut in half in a little over a year.
This will be true whenever you buy!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
This will be true whenever you buy!
I know that now, unfortunately..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.