AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have mid-high level audio gear in a small room. 11'X 14'. I'm in the process of rigging the room with a projector/cable/KODI xmbc/DVD player. (i just removed my TV which had the cable box attached via HDMI)

The issue is I am running a pre-amp/monoblock amps/sub-woofer with 2 X 14'speakers plus my floor-standing speakers. All RCA connections. The projector has HDMI/S-Video/RGB Component/BNS. Cable is attached via RCA to preamp. XMBC has HDMI connection. DVD player via RCA to preamp.

Seems like I need a receiver to handle all the different inputs (no HDMI in my pre-amp)but I am not in the least interested in audio quality as my current audio set-up will blow away any low-mid priced receiver. I am not interested in going 5.1 or 7.2 or anything like that. Is there a low-priced receiver or something out there that can accommodate my gear connections and allow me to play all audio through my 2-channel set-up without degradation?

Any help much appreciated as I am kinda STUNNED on this stuff.

Thanx in advance for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have mid-high level audio gear in a small room. 11'X 14'. I'm in the process of rigging the room with a projector/cable/KODI xmbc/DVD player. (i just removed my TV which had the cable box attached via HDMI)

The issue is I am running a pre-amp/monoblock amps/sub-woofer with 2 X 14'speakers plus my floor-standing speakers. All RCA connections. The projector has HDMI/S-Video/RGB Component/BNS. Cable is attached via RCA to preamp. XMBC has HDMI connection. DVD player via RCA to preamp.

Seems like I need a receiver to handle all the different inputs (no HDMI in my pre-amp)but I am not in the least interested in audio quality as my current audio set-up will blow away any low-mid priced receiver. I am not interested in going 5.1 or 7.2 or anything like that. Is there a low-priced receiver or something out there that can accommodate my gear connections and allow me to play all audio through my 2-channel set-up without degradation?

Any help much appreciated as I am kinda STUNNED on this stuff.

Thanx in advance for any and all suggestions.
Vanco, Wyrestorm and other companies sell HDMI switches with an optical output- it comes with an IR remote control and handles EDID/CEC (I would avoid using CEC like the plague). I installed one in a home theater, going to a home theater preamp that's far too old to have HDMI and I have noticed zero instances of lip synch issues. It should be less than $150.

If your setup doesn't have digital inputs, weigh the cost/features/benefits of an AVR with an HDMI switch and a separate DAC. The cheap AVRs won't be as good, IMO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vanco, Wyrestorm and other companies sell HDMI switches with an optical output- it comes with an IR remote control and handles EDID/CEC (I would avoid using CEC like the plague). I installed one in a home theater, going to a home theater preamp that's far too old to have HDMI and I have noticed zero instances of lip synch issues. It should be less than $150.

If your setup doesn't have digital inputs, weigh the cost/features/benefits of an AVR with an HDMI switch and a separate DAC. The cheap AVRs won't be as good, IMO.
How did you install it to your preamp? Via RCA by chance? I have ONLY RCA ins/outs on my preamp. No Optical/no s-video/no HDMI.

I have an HDMI switch in my living room but that is connected to a system with a receiver that has/ hdmi/optical connects. I have an audio system connected to that plus a separate sound bar and wireless sub connected via optical cable.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
How did you install it to your preamp? Via RCA by chance? I have ONLY RCA ins/outs on my preamp. No Optical/no s-video/no HDMI.

I have an HDMI switch in my living room but that is connected to a system with a receiver that has/ hdmi/optical connects. I have an audio system connected to that plus a separate sound bar and wireless sub connected via optical cable.
The preamp has digital coax and optical, so it was easy in this case. Since your preamp has no digital inputs, you have some options, but I don't know what preamp you have, so it's hard to comment on whether a new AVR will have a good enough preamp, or not.

HDMI switch with Digital to Analog Converter,
AVR,
New preamp with DAC.

I have an AVR and had all of the sources connected to that, with one HDMI cable going to the TV to provide video. I decided that I wanted to play vinyl, so I bought a preamp/power amp and simplified the video end of the system- I use the TV's tuner for local channels, the BluRay player and Roku are connected directly to the TV and the TV sends digital audio to the preamp via optical because the preamp has a DAC. The AM/FM tuner and turntable go to the preamp.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
My advice is to choose an AV receiver with preamp outputs and dump the current preamp. It makes little sense to kluge up a solution when the better solution will provide more convenience and better processing, to say nothing of modern connectivity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts