AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while ago that my friend's new/first DLP projector made no rainbows when we tested it here making a 3 foot screen or so.

He had it setup at his place now but it took him a long time to figure out how to disable the stupid parental control on his playstation to be able to play a DVD, even while reading the instructions it was a nightmare and we eventually gave up.

Now that he figured out how to get DVDs to play on his playstation, he told me he sees massive flickering of red green and blue and that the image is not watchable at all. I said many people say they get used to the rainbow effect and he said there's no way he'd get used to what he's seeing. It almost sounds like it may be a major defect. I haven't seen it yet but will tomorrow, but I never saw the rainbow effect and the only time I saw a DLp was the few minutes on the 3 foot screen we made here.

So what exactly do rainbows look like so I know if it's the rainbow effect or a major malfunction when I go see it tomorrow? As I said he says it's not something he can imagine himself get used to, I think he said it was flashing between colors and brightnesses.

His projector is the BenQ MP522.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see rainbows,but only the next day after hours of watching my pj.The rainbows I see are when I look across the plant where I work and look towards the plant lights.They are best described as a complete circle of rainbows around the lights.My eys are tired and a little blury also.But it goes away after a half a day or so.It seems worse in the winter when the air is dry.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean by look accross the plant lights? Do you have a lamp and plant in front of your projection screen??

And leeperry: What in the world is that?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 /forum/post/15454634

And leeperry: What in the world is that?

Thanks

It a picture of what the rainbow effect is. Though its a large exaggeration as its someone waving their hand in front of the lens, but its the same basic idea.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The best way I can describe it is that every really bright object in a scene has a flashing, prismatic "trail" to it. Any dark scene with candles in it would drive me insane.

What your friend is describing does sound like RBE. It won't really be a matter of "getting used to it" (that would have never happened); it's more that he will stop seeing the effect.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
This is a perfect example of it: http://www.dietforum.net/balagee/projected/rainbow.html

However, my case is MUCH worse then that. What your friend is describing sounds like exactly what I see. Only option is to get a faster color wheel speed, or go LCD/SXRD/LCOS.

Also forgot to add, I can't find a specific rating for that projectors color weel speed, but I found on a different forum that somone said it was a 1x wheel. If thats the case, getting a 4x or 5x wheel projector might eliminate the problem your friend is seeing. I see very bad RBE on color wheel speeds up to 5x. I have not tested a 6x but I highly doubt it will make much of a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The plant lights that I was refering to are where I work at.I work in a big warehouse.The lights have a rainbow around them in the morning after a long night of watching dlp pj.I have a cheap dlp pj and think it is a 2 speed color wheel.Back when I had a 4805 I do not recall seeing rbe.But the 4805 has a 5 or 6 speed wheel I think.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The 4806 has a 4x color wheel. It actually interested because I never saw the RBE with my first DLP projector, the 4805. Not even my second DLP, a HD70. I started seeing the RBE when I got the HD1000u. So just because you don't see it now does not mean you wont see it in the future. My advice is this, if you cant see it, dont look for it. I started noticing it after I heard about it and really started looking for it. Now its just automatic. I see it whenever I am watching DLP. Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if he's really seeing RBE should he return it or try to learn not to see them (still haven't gone to see it yet)?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdrennon /forum/post/15455993

The plant lights that I was refering to are where I work at.I work in a big warehouse.The lights have a rainbow around them in the morning after a long night of watching dlp pj.I have a cheap dlp pj and think it is a 2 speed color wheel.Back when I had a 4805 I do not recall seeing rbe.But the 4805 has a 5 or 6 speed wheel I think.

So you say you see rbe on warehouse lights after a night of watching dlp? Unless i am misunderstanding i say bs. Rbe is caused by a very different function.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 /forum/post/15456248

So if he's really seeing RBE should he return it or try to learn not to see them (still haven't gone to see it yet)?

Well first of all, why would you get a buisness projector for movies? You can get a much better picture for the same price if you get a home theatre projector. You can not "learn" not to see the RBE. If you can see it then the DLP is not tricking your brain into seeing all the colors at one time. There are ways to lesson it like decreasing the picture size and lowering brightness, but if you see the RBE then you see the RBE. Nothing you can do about it.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
He's not doubting what you're seeing, only saying that whatever it is isn't RBE, which is what the OP asked about.

RBE is most visible during dark scenes with small bright objects - if you scan your eyes back and forth across the screen quickly, you'll see the red, green, and blue segments individually in a "rainbow" as the projector is drawing each color on the screen. It is a VERY quick artifact, and has nothing to do with persisting visual phenomenon like what you are describing.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Obnoxious Red and Green flashes every time you blink or slightly turn your head. They also look like Green dollars falling out of your pocket, having wasted your cash on an RBE box.

For a more hands on example, buy a Mit HC1600 and find out.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* /forum/post/15456364

Well first of all, why would you get a buisness projector for movies? You can get a much better picture for the same price if you get a home theatre projector. You can not "learn" not to see the RBE. If you can see it then the DLP is not tricking your brain into seeing all the colors at one time. There are ways to lesson it like decreasing the picture size and lowering brightness, but if you see the RBE then you see the RBE. Nothing you can do about it.

sorry. but i stopped seeing them within a few weeks with no changes to my setup at all.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW I forgot to say he's using it connected by composite video (the yellow RCA cable). Is it possible that the color wheel goes slower with this video input compared to when we tried it on my computer where we didn't see any rainbows (again, the screen was much smaller when we tested it on my PC)?

So should he return it, try it with a PC, or wait to see if he stops seeing them?

·
Registered
379 Posts
yeah composite is interlaced and the built-in deinterlacer is not too good......connect it to a PC before making up your mind, but the CW is prolly 2X so don't expect miracles

1 - 20 of 26 Posts