AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do rpg and bass traps do? I read that they absorb bass does that in turn make the bass tighter? I have a Velo HGS-10 in 11x13 room and the bass is very nice it's very tight so how would these improve my sound? Could they harm my bass sound?

Daniel Smith

· Registered
53 Posts
Hi Daniel

RPG make a range of poducts not least of which is a range of bass traps. These are tuned products so need to be applied where there are problems.

My advise to you would be to get a real time analyser and measure the frequency response you are getting from all cahnnels. This will tell you if the bass is well integrated and well extended. If the bass is lumpy or is higher in level than the rest of the frequency spectrum then you are getting an inaccurate picture of what the creator of your software put on the disk.

This problem can be remedied either by usign the said bass trap or using a parametric equaliser.

RPG is best know for their diffusors which will transform your listening environment into an unbelivable space. If you want depth and space in your sound look no further.

· Registered
468 Posts
Bass traps (the tube variety) are a must have for just about any listening space IMO. The beautiful thing about bass traps are that they are broadband absorbers (they soak up highs and mids in addition to bass). Since you generally put them in corners, they only absorb spurious sonic energy that you don't want bouncing back to your ears. Placed correctly, bass traps will only absorb that which you don't want to hear any way, therefore, no tuning is required. They will not affect the direct sound reaching your ears.

Even though they are called bass traps, you may be surprised at how much mid- frequency resonance you have in your room. Once you hear a bass trap in your room, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. Easily one of the best tweaks I ever made. These are also not difficult to DIY (I constructed the Jon Risch variety).

-Tweak

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.