AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
1 extra clarification... if the input is labeled Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr, that means the input will accept digital or analog component video signals - you don't have to do anything special, just connect the cables.

The problem comes when the input is labeled YPbPr or YCbCr - that may or may not mean the input will accept analog (P) or digital (C) component video. Manufacturers are inconsistent with the labeling. But chances are, if the TV is older, it may accept only analog (P) component video. I can't remember any recent (last few years) TV that wouldn't accept both signal forms into any component input.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
The labeling for analog component is all over the place. It should be YPbPr, but I've often seen it labeled Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr or YCbCr wrongly. Obviously if you're looking at three RCA or BNC jacks labeled any of these ways, you're almost guaranteed that it's analog regardless of what the label is. You only find digital component video YCbCr via HDMI/DVI(and usually not on DVI) connections, or SDI/HD-SDI, but those inputs are rarely if ever labeled YCbCr, but rather HDMI, or SDI or whatever the case may be, though you'll find in the options often the ability to choose between RGB and YCbCr for those ins/outs, depending on the capabilities at hand.

·
Banned
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/16962130

(and usually not on DVI)

If you see something like YUV 4:X:X that also means digital component video. My Lumagen processor only has a DVI plug but can also accept HDMI YCbCr video. Only analog is labeled YPbPr, and digital is labeled as only YUV.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Isn't YUV an analogue signal? I ask this because I eventually had to give up on getting a good picture from my PVR over component cables.

It actually output YUV rather than YPbPr, and nothing I had supported this (normally when something is labelled as YUV it's actually YPbPr) so colour was not correct. I ended up having to buy a splitter to get RGB+Sync out of it instead.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/17004487

Isn't YUV an analogue signal? I ask this because I eventually had to give up on getting a good picture from my PVR over component cables.

It actually output YUV rather than YPbPr, and nothing I had supported this (normally when something is labelled as YUV it's actually YPbPr) so colour was not correct. I ended up having to buy a splitter to get RGB+Sync out of it instead.

I would give up on the definition of YUV. In common use, YUV or Y'UV is used simply to describe any kind of luma/chroma color difference format as opposed to an RGB type format. Any kind of B'-Y' and R'-Y' components are often referred to as UV components, especially in computer graphics.

This is actually wrong, YUV is technically only the intermediate scaled components that go into forming analog NTSC video. But misuse of YUV or Y'UV is so rampant that it is almost always the case that when this notation is being used that they actually wrongly mean some kind of color difference components that have nothing to do with NTSC video, so I always assume that the use of the term is wrong, unless stated otherwise.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/17004839

I would give up on the definition of YUV. In common use, YUV or Y'UV is used simply to describe any kind of luma/chroma color difference format as opposed to an RGB type format. Any kind of B'-Y' and R'-Y' components are often referred to as UV components, especially in computer graphics.

This is actually wrong, YUV is technically only the intermediate scaled components that go into forming analog NTSC video. But misuse of YUV or Y'UV is so rampant that it is almost always the case that when this notation is being used that they actually wrongly mean some kind of color difference components that have nothing to do with NTSC video, so I always assume that the use of the term is wrong, unless stated otherwise.

Well yes, YUV is widely misused. What I meant is that I've never seen a device output a digital signal labelled as YUV, only analogue signals. (and most of the time it just output YPbPr even though it was labelled YUV)

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/17005068

Well yes, YUV is widely misused. What I meant is that I've never seen a device output a digital signal labelled as YUV, only analogue signals. (and most of the time it just output YPbPr even though it was labelled YUV)

Well, I've seen video processors label YCbCr as YUV, and everywhere in the graphics world YUV is used, so I usually just assume it is some form of YCbCr/YPbPr unless otherwise noted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts