AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this for a while now and here's what I think.

First off I would use the hauppauge TV tuner card or WinPVR card. I also would have this set-up so that when I use a program like sagetv to set a recording so when the recording came on it would turn the DirecTV box on and tune to the right channel. Now to use it like a Tivo with HMO heres what I was thinking.

I would use the MediaMVP which supports MPEG2 which the WinPVR can record directly into. Now to get it from computer to all of my TVs which would be three it would cost me 300 bucks for the MediaMVPs which I know will get cheaper. Now wireless just doesn't work but I was looking at powerline networking and this looks like a real good alternative to wireless.

So You can get a cable/DSL router and three HomePlug adapters which I could pick up for about 35 bucks each. So for 105 bucks plus 300 bucks I would have a networked PVR with a whole 200GB hard drive space that can be upgraded for much cheaper than what a Tivo can be. Plus with no service fee either and I don't have to wait for DirecTV to add a HMO which I don't think they will ever do.

What do you all think of this alternative with the big difference being powerline networking over wireless which would give enough bandwidth to send the video without chopping. It would also be DVD quality of course.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
There's already been some talk about this over at the SageTV forums:

here:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...&threadid=1678

and here:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...1224#post11224

Dan (SageTV CEO) mentioned that they've already tested it and it works for playback of recorded files. Jeff (CTO) mentioned a desire to more closely integrate it with SageTV. That would be really cool, especially for any TV's that don't justify full-up HTPCs.

Also 802.11a or g are fast enough to stream recorded shows (802.11b isn't quite enough unless you're really lucky).

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a secondary homeplug network in my home. Works great, although I don't stress it very much.

A cheaper solution for you may be to use something like a channelvision to create a new channel on your cable that all of the TV's in the house (that have cable connected) can tune. may be a bit easier.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well just so I understand this right. I have all of my TVs connected via DirecTV so if I used this channelvision product I could use say channel 2 which DirecTV doesn't use or would I use channel 2 on my TV (all of my TVs use either component or svideo) and just use my existing wires to tune in from. Mainly do I have to add anymore wires or mess with a multiswitch. I would rather just have mainly plug and play without having to rewire or add a jack or go into my attic.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
If that Channelvision what I think it is, I think it is it takes video and audio (like composite video and l/r audio) and turns it into a signal any TV can pick up on a channel (like 2).

Thing is, if you go that route you loose all of the interactivity and independence between TVs you'd have if you go the MediaMVP and/or SageTV route. With a MediaMVP you could watch something different on each TV at the same time, plus you'd have access to all of your recorded shows at each TV.

If you go the CV route, all the TVs would show the same thing (unless you use multiple different channels) and you wouldn't have any interactivity, unless you go with an IR repeater setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.