AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. I apologize if this thread is in the wrong forum but wasn't sure where to post. I have some rather old audio equipment that I have had in storage for, I believe, 10 years or so. I have an old Yamaha receiver [model RX-770], a Yamaha 5-disc CD changer [CDC-845], and even a Yamaha tape deck [KX-580]. As far as I can remember everything still works perfectly and they were great for what I needed back in the day. Having recently taken them out of storage, I am wondering what I could do with them - is there even a market for this kind of stuff still? I mean does anybody buy/use these things for spare parts or anything? eBay?


Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.


Thank you so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amontwin /forum/post/18246874


Hey All. I apologize if this thread is in the wrong forum but wasn't sure where to post. I have some rather old audio equipment that I have had in storage for, I believe, 10 years or so. I have an old Yamaha receiver [model RX-770], a Yamaha 5-disc CD changer [CDC-845], and even a Yamaha tape deck [KX-580]. As far as I can remember everything still works perfectly and they were great for what I needed back in the day. Having recently taken them out of storage, I am wondering what I could do with them - is there even a market for this kind of stuff still? I mean does anybody buy/use these things for spare parts or anything? eBay?


Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.


Thank you so much.

About 10 years old (and it's not "(I'm talking old)") is by far the worst for value. It's too old for current use but too young for collectors. The best thing if possible would be to put it back in storage and forget for another 10 to 15 years and then you could sell it (especially if in original boxes).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
That receiver looks like it would be really nice for a 2 channel setup, so I think you could sell that or reuse it. Seems to get very good reviews on the net. It looks to be stable to 2 ohm so it could be used to drive any speakers. I'd think about using that for a nice bedroom or office music setup or look to sell it for a few bucks.


The other istems might make a couple bucks on craigslist, but probably not much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,604 Posts
Most electronic equipment will never be collectors items. Just a bunch a junk after a while.


If you have an AVR that plays decodes DTS and DD, then at least it is still of use to someone.


I still have an "old" 2 channel receiver, but I have not used it since the early 90's. They still sell on Ebay for a reasonable amount.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore /forum/post/18247279


That receiver looks like it would be really nice for a 2 channel setup, so I think you could sell that or reuse it. Seems to get very good reviews on the net. It looks to be stable to 2 ohm so it could be used to drive any speakers. I'd think about using that for a nice bedroom or office music setup or look to sell it for a few bucks.


The other istems might make a couple bucks on craigslist, but probably not much.

Thank you. Yeah it seemed like such a waste to just get rid of it as I know it would be pretty good for some basic audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/18247264


About 10 years old (and it's not "(I'm talking old)") is by far the worst for value. It's too old for current use but too young for collectors. The best thing if possible would be to put it back in storage and forget for another 10 to 15 years and then you could sell it (especially if in original boxes).

Ha! You're probably right and I should probably just keep them in storage. And by "old" I realize they aren't collector's items but in the world of tech and the like, 10 years is rather ancient/obsolote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts
donate it to your local thrift shop...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,340 Posts
Craig's list! Lots of poor folk still enjoy Hi Fidelity and last I checked my living room only had 2 speaker and a sub.. Basement has a 1976 vintage 33lb receiver along with a Denon direct dive TURN TABLE.. yeah still got a big closet of vinyl.. So don't figure it is worthless, just have to find someone who doesn't have room for surround but still appreciates HiFidelity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass /forum/post/18247448


I still have an "old" 2 channel receiver, but I have not used it since the early 90's. They still sell on Ebay for a reasonable amount.

I've got a Sherwood of similar vintage (early 70s, right?) and checking Ebay, it doesn't look like I can get more than $25 (since it will probably cost at least $20 to ship). I'll try Craigslist locally and see how that goes. It's certainly worth $25 for a basement or bedroom 2-channel system I would think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
What do I do with my old equipment? I still use a 21 year old amp, and an 11 year old amp daily. Usually I sell my old gear if I'm not using it, or I give it to a friend that would appreciate it. Just gave a perfectly working Sony CDC-800ES (1990) to a friend of mine, he loves it, and I'm sure will use it for years to come.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
10 years. Aghast, not old. Most of my "new" gear I have bought off e-bay is older than that. Anyway, if it works perfectly, then e-bay or craigs. Careful with craigs. Meet in a public place, not your house. Cash. If it does not perform perfectly, trash. Older analog receivers if they were of decent quality are in some demand as the only ones you can buy now are either total junk or more than a car. Not much in the quality mid-fi stereo still being made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
10 year old stuff finds its way into other rooms. I've got a Bose surround cube setup in my bedroom. Bought that before I learned there are better choices for HT. 20 or 30 year old stuff either goes on eBay for collectors or I give it away to Goodwill (I had a Pioneer receiver just like the one above I gave away). If a donation center won't take it I recycle the gear. My city accepts electronics during a quarterly hazardous materials recycling program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
donate to friends and family. If it's really good sell it to them for half of what it goes for on audiogon. This way, when I go to parties at their places, the music sounds good!


Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
Store it until I find another use, or give it to somebody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts
I still use my legacy equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your replies. At this point, I think I will hold on to the receiver and probably give the tape deck and CD player to somebody. I just didn't really know what kind of market there was for this stuff...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amontwin /forum/post/18252918


Thanks for all your replies. At this point, I think I will hold on to the receiver and probably give the tape deck and CD player to somebody. I just didn't really know what kind of market there was for this stuff...

It's only worth storing something you'll use again or a collector may want. Keep in mind collectors look for top of the line equipment. They won't want an old Technics receiver but will probably pay something for a classic Burmester, Marantz, McIntosh or Krell. I don't know the collector market for Yamaha but I'd guess at 10 or 15 years old they are too new for collectors to want and too old to be worthwhile for most people.


IMO, you'll find the time and effort to sell a tape deck or CD player is worth more than the couple bucks you'll get for them. Save yourself the hassle and donate it then take a tax write-off for the donation.


Kudos for looking into other options instead of throwing it in the trash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone-deaf /forum/post/18256581


Kudos for looking into other options instead of throwing it in the trash.

Well that really was the main motivation for this whole thread anyway. I didn't want to just toss the stuff in the trash...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
And if you think it is not worth your effort to sell, or store, and you know nobody who wants it, there is always http://www.freecycle.org/ I've given away lots of things using that service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
I had a 1970 Vintage Sansui 4000 reciever I wish I still had. For one reson only, that thing would pick up FM stations from VERY far away. Like 1,200 miles or more. (Minneapolis to Little Rock)!!!! Try that with most of todays equipment!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top