AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be ot.. and i ask the mod to please let me have one OT thread!!!!

anyway.. there's no car speakers board in here.. so i have no other place to ask this question but here..

I am interested in changing my car's stock speakers...

just the fronts and one sub.

any brands you guys recommend? I've listened the Alpine's X series (the flagship) and they weren't bad. They are some thing I can listen to. But I'm not terribly happy with what I'm getting out of them.

I liked the MB Quartz PS series. the 2 way one.. And the highs have a nice hint of airyness.. not very sure of the mids.. cause i didn't really auditioned them long enough.

For the head unit.. the sales guy told me about Alpine's more 'high end' head receivers. They have the feature of Time Delay or something like that.. where in they delay the signal of one speaker... so that you can adjust as to where to put the soundstage. (ie infront of the driver) which i kinda like.. but what do you guys think of that.

The JL Audios.. i've heard those. And i was just underwhelmed. the highs were very harsh. and the mids where colored and muddy. And i was listening to the most expensive one on display.

So yeah.. any other brands you guys can recommend me?

The subs... what's the difference a sealed and ported box will do to me?

thanks a lot!!

I acctually brought a set of alpine speakers/ sb/ head unit which totalled 2500 cdn..

1 x series speaker,

1 9815 head unit

1 4/3/2 amp. 354 or something

1 10" R series sub

1 ported box with polyfill

cables and 'amplifier kit'

·
Registered
757 Posts
1 set of mb quart referenz musicomp 3way rsb328's

1 10" jl audio 10w3 subwoofer

amplifiers - precision power

1 ppi pc 2300 - (300x1) for sub

1 ppi pc 2400 - (100x2) for mb quarts

cdplayer

pioneer premier deh-p930

greatbop, this receiver has a grand amount of features for adjusting the soundfield. you should be able to find info on all of these products online. all of this is in a chevrolet s-10 SS pickup. there's more than enough sound. i would do this setup again in a car. as a matter of fact, i'm keeping all of this whenever i decide to change vehicles.

the system shines with live recordings and acoustic albums. it probably has a lot to do with the titanium tweeters. some quart users complain of piercing highs (because they mostly listen to fabricated rap music with those awful snare and slap beats). my solution to them is to listen to real music. anyways, i'm off on a tangent.

great system and i'd recommend it. just like home theater, car audio has its fair share of subjectiveness and arguments.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I heard the polk 'momo' series components a few days ago, compared to the alpines and the JLs. In my opinion the polks blew the others away. The tweeter was alot more 'laid back', very musical.These components held their own against a very high dollar set of Focal's (utopia). My setup includes an alpine cd player, rockford punch 250,punch 800, 4 boston 8" pro series subs (sealed) lower end boston coaxials(hence the audition!) All of this is in a 95 Ford lightnig pickup.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Who has money left for a car? If you do your home system is in need!! LOL

·
Registered
607 Posts
MB Quart seperates!

Quote:
Who has money left for a car? If you do your home system is in need!! LOL
Some of us can afford to do both!

;)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah.. sorry.. i forgot to add that I returned the whole thing unopened after 3 days.. That was the first purchase that I never felt good about. Unsure of the quality I was getting out of them. And i really really wanted those MB Quartz (at that time).

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have DLS Co-axials, an Aiwa CDC-MP3 Head Unit, and 2 10" SQ subs by Hifonics. I have an Autotek SX4160 powering it all.

Not the best system by any means, but it sounds good, gets loud and the whole thing was only $750 installed.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
DLS makes some highly rated components.

Look at Focal Components

Rainbow Audio is High End as well(German Company"

Of course Dynaudio. The have some nice 3 way components with 7" Midbass.

Adire has a Component set using a 6" Koda Midbass and tweeter. Good reviews as well.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
...Alpine's more 'high end' head receivers. They have the feature of Time Delay or something like that...
IMO, time delay is an important feature. It works exactly like a HT receiver (distance from speakers to listener's ear). This ensures that each driver's sound will arrive at the same time.

I have the Adire Koda component set and an Adire Shiva in my car (SQ oriented vehicle). With any setup, install is very important (sound deadening, speaker positioning, sub enclosure type and size, etc.).

·
Registered
111 Posts
(Honda S2000) I was using Focal 165k2's for the fronts and Infinity 4" Reference's in the rear. Powering those were a JL Audio 300/4 amp. I had 2 JL Audio 10w6's in a sealed box ran off a JL Audio 500/1. Best sounding system i've had ever, that car was the hardest i've had to image.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by N.REED
I heard the polk 'momo' series components a few days ago...
Actually, here in Utah, it would be hard to sell a speaker called "momo"...That being a derogatory slang term for "Mormon"...

·
Registered
454 Posts
In my previous 325I before it was totaled 17 months ago had B&W and KEF speakers. The systems was tri-amped using Soundstream amps designed by Nelson Pass. The source unit was a Nakamich CD changer with a seperate DAC. It was a pretty smooth sounding system.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My head unit is a Kenwood z919 MP3 player. For speakers, I have the set just under the Polk Momo's ( I think the part number is 3065). I couldn't justify the extra expense. I use a soundstream Rubicon 604 amp for those (something like 80x4 at 12volts or over 100 at 14 volts). I bridge an alpine amp (2 channels each) to drive 2 Alpine 12" type R subs each one in their own sealed box. I did have a class D amp for the subs. I recommend going that way, but mine broke. I'm using the backup alpine now. Overall it rocks for a car system, but it can't compete with the imaging that my home system has. I enjoy it so much, on 9 11 01 a coworker and myself drove through PA right into DC listening to CDs the whole way (4 hours). We were on the subway in Downtown DC by the time we weard what happened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.