AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I read through all these threads here at AVS I can't help but wonder with the ever decreasing

availability of cd's are we playing 99 cent MP3's through our $10,000 speakers? Correct me if I

am wrong but I always heard that MP3's are of far less quality than a Compact Disc. Yet with the

current Ipod trend CD's are becoming a thing of the past.

I can't imagine having this nice stereo system and having only MP3's to play them?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
CD, FM, on a rare occasion tape. I have a MP3 player that I listen to only with ear buds.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I listen to cds or (most often) pipe Sirius via Dish through my system. As many systems pull double duty playing music and HT, in my case I'm more dialed into Blu Ray movie playback than music. And like doomslayer, my speakers aren't $10k.

Of course, my preference of death, thrash, and doom metal doesn't really necessitate a critical listening environment

·
Registered
306 Posts
With mp3 it depends... how they were usually encoded.

You can have a 192 mp3 that sounds like crap or decent but it still wont sound as good as a cd...

just to be safe every time i listen to a cd i rip it as flac.

Having said that lot of music has really bad recordings to start off with where you can probably get away with ogg high quality encode.

Since harddrive space is so cheap now i don't see why everything cant be flac.

As for buying off of sites for 99 cents i stay away from that they are really really badly encoded.

computer -> bit perfect digital out -> dac -> amp

·
Registered
14 Posts
My "good" speakers haven't arrived yet (way less than $10k
), but I mostly listen to MP3 or some format music. Like porksoda said, hard drive space is cheap, so I plan on re-ripping all my CDs as lossless soon, since my drive is much bigger now than it was when I first ripped them.

For 99 cent downloads, iTunes upped their bit rate to 256k, and Amazon uses variable rate, neither of which I would say is crappy at all. When I get some descent speakers I'll be trying to see how that compares to the original CD.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
all my CDs are ripped to FLAC, and I listen to those on my home system via Sonos that is digitally connected to my pre/pro. For background music, I often listen to Pandora, also through Sonos.

Lossy stuff stays on the iPod for listening via buds or the car. On my Palm Pre, I have been using Slacker lately.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm probably the youngest of the crowd. I mainly just stick to Cds or the occasional music dvd.

Usually pop music like hip hop or whatever they call it, sounds the same as an mp3 vs a cd, so i just pipe it out via a headphone jack and i could careless about fidelity when listening to this.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I only listen to CDs and FM. No MP3s for me. I'm also a little put off by all these little gadgets people are so stuck on to these days. I guess I'm old school or maybe just old.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I stream music through my AppleTv to my receiver. Gonna start buying CD's and ripping to FLAC although it is so much easier to just download them off itunes.

Also thinking about getting a Wadia Ipod dock just because i like buying new ****

·
Registered
628 Posts
You guys listen to music on your setup. If I was going to listen to music on my HT/Game station, I would use mp3, and a lossless codec. CDs are so yesterday.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 /forum/post/18310044

I only listen to CDs and FM. No MP3s for me. I'm also a little put off by all these little gadgets people are so stuck on to these days. I guess I'm old school or maybe just old.

Not really, just stuck in the past....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I recommend spending some time at Hydrogen Audio to get an idea of what MP3 can and can't do. There are killer samples that trained listeners can pick up, but generally anything above 192kbps isn't discernible from the source. I'd suggest the quality of recording (i.e. the loudness war) is more of an issue than a 128kbps mp3. Anyway, I'm not much of a gadgeteer, but I do like pandora when I need to hear something I'm less familiar with.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf /forum/post/18310862

I recommend spending some time at Hydrogen Audio to get an idea of what MP3 can and can't do. There are killer samples that trained listeners can pick up, but generally anything above 192kbps isn't discernible from the source. I'd suggest the quality of recording (i.e. the loudness war) is more of an issue than a 128kbps mp3. Anyway, I'm not much of a gadgeteer, but I do like pandora when I need to hear something I'm less familiar with.

Yup.. i have spent a lot of time on hydrogen.. mp3s were out a while ago if space is an issue for anyone OGG should be considered or apple format. Mp3 compression is good but its a bit dated.

192 is the make it break it point for sure but then again space is not that much of an issue so i just flac everything.

As for amazon and itunes mp3s i can clearly hear issues with those mp3s... they lack the dynamic range and sometimes with lot of busy music you will hear artifacts.

If anyone is listening to music via computer or is thinking of doing so... you will have to get a good dac.. and dacs go up in pricing so there is something to consider. Decent dac is about 1k and the price goes up very quickly.

·
Registered
258 Posts
1. CD library recorded to FLAC on networked PC using a Squeezebox.

2. Playing actual CD in my car

3. Pandora Radio

·
Registered
975 Posts
Flac lossless

BluRay HD

Xbox360 games

I have a copy of my entire CD/Flac collection @ 320KB/s for the portable MP3 player.... but I try to keep the quality as good as possible for my home system.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts