AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got sick of TMT not being able to play BD movies properly, Arcsoft was nice enough to refund my money. Now I'm looking for its replacement. I see that many people are using Power DVD. Which version of PDVD are you using? Any other good choices besides PDVD? Is Nero any good?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I have a feeling folks are going to want a bit more info to try and give you other options - TMT works just great for a lot of people so if yours didn't work it may have to do more with your system than the software-

Are you playing directly from the discs (only)? ISOs? Files structure?

What didn't it do?

I realize this isn't answering your question-it's just that we've heard the same thing for PDVD, Corel, and every other piece of software-went through it myself a few months back and it came down to problems with my system and now that they're resolved both TMT and PDVD 7 play just fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried playing 5 different BD movies, straight from the disc, lots of pixelation. I ripped 4 of those movies as iso,using Any DVD HD, mounted them using VCD, same playing problem. Just out of curiosity, I reripped 2 of the movies, but into Hard Disc folder instead of iso, same problem. I contacted Tech Support. They confirmed that there are other people with the same problem. They suggested that I connect my computer to the monitor with VGA cable. Problem is, my graphics card only has DVI out, and my monitor HDMI in, so I wasn't able to test the connection with a VGA cable. I asked for a refund, and they did.

Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use PDVD8 with no problem (well, it's an HTPC, there are ALWAYS little bugs here and there), but also no problem with TMT when I tried it. I play ripped BR .iso's primarily, mounted with VirtualClone.

So, what graphics card? Specs on your build? Using Hardware Acceleration?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalat /forum/post/15559428

I got sick of TMT not being able to play BD movies properly, Arcsoft was nice enough to refund my money. Now I'm looking for its replacement. I see that many people are using Power DVD. Which version of PDVD are you using? Any other good choices besides PDVD? Is Nero any good?

Thank you,

TMT is not ideal but it is currently the less worst of all player. Furtermore it is currently the only option for HD DVD owners

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Best bet, rip to MKV and play them right in VMC. TMT and PDVD are both horrible pieces of software. Even if they perform flawlessly they are still downsampling your audio

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
If you don't want to build a media library ( I had piles of discs around the house) I'd say go for a standalone player. Unless you want BD and HDDVD in one box.

There is nothing to really recommend HTPC HDM playback at the moment.

Its nothing but a pain . I've been at it more than a year and I still can't just chuck in a disc and know it will play just fine.

I've yet to see picture quality from an HTPC that equals a decent BD player.

Vista sucks too. VMC again is far too much hassle than its worth. Hardware acceleration is unreliable in terms of deinterlacing and scaling.

I really feel things have gone backwards with Vista,

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You can't replace tmt with anything. Nothing will play blu-ray and hd-dvd from files but tmt. If you do not care about this you can replace tmt with everything that plays blu-rays. It is that good/bad.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
In looking back at your other posts/threads, I can't get past the thought/fact that it's got to be something with your system and it's nothing that changing software players is going to fix. If you were seeing post after post, both here and on the TMT board describing what you're seeing I'd go along with the "TMT doesn't work right" idea-but that's far from the case.

To make everything perfect(ish) I ultimately had to rebuild my system to get rid of all the junk on there (old drivers/codecs etc) and I strongly suspect that's what you're seeing here-unless it comes down to a hardware (cabling/monitor) issue...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess what, I just unchecked Hardware Acceleration, and all BD movies (disc, iso) played back great. I've no idea why. My system spec:

XP SP 3

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 CPU

4 GB RAM

NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
TMT is junk... I have had nothing but issues... I have almost the same setup as you and I have different issues... TMT's issues follow the time of day.. some days no issues some days tons of issues...

I would say though it is the most feature rich and when it does work it has great video quality and sound quality.. again.. when it works.

PowerDVD has worked flawlessly for me.. but lacks some key features..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalat /forum/post/15624299

Guess what, I just unchecked Hardware Acceleration, and all BD movies (disc, iso) played back great. I've no idea why. My system spec:

XP SP 3

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 CPU

4 GB RAM

NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB

Thanks,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts