AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in a market for a HDTV for some time now but I'm little short on a budget. I have looked at many HDTV's for under 1K and I finally found one at Egg that seems to be at a reasonable price.

The TV is SCEPTRE X27SV-NagaIII Silver 27"! I can't post the link but you can find on the the NewEgg under the LCD TV section.

I'm not a big guru on the Display Devices so I need your input on this. To me it seems like a good TV for the price since it supports up to 1080i and it has display resolution of 1280x720. Main reason why I'm getting HDTV is because Xbox360 is coming out soon and I wanted to know if this would be a good TV for it.

What do you guys think should I buy it or look for something else? I need all the input that I can get since my BD is coming up on Sep 2nd.

Cheers

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonXXX
What do you guys think should I buy it or look for something else?
Welcome to the forum. While you wait for a response - if you haven't tried it - consider - doing a search within the forum. Near the top of each page right below where they show page numbers you will find a box titled "Search this forum". Click on it, and then type in Sceptre in the input box that appears, and hit enter.

While you might not find any direct discussion of the 27" model (especially if it is a relatively new model) - there has been a moderate discussion of the Sceptre brand on this forum, and it should give you a good idea as to the opinions of the brand.

PS You should be aware that the search is confined to the postings time period shown under Display Option near the bottom of the page. The normal default time period is about a week. To extend this time frame use the Display Option area to extend the postings shown, then seach again. The forum also has some advanced search options you should explore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by semigolfer
Welcome to the forum. While you wait for a response - if you haven't tried it - consider - doing a search within the forum. Near the top of each page right below where they show page numbers you will find a box titled "Search this forum". Click on it, and then type in Sceptre in the input box that appears, and hit enter.

While you might not find any direct discussion of the 27" model (especially if it is a relatively new model) - there has been a moderate discussion of the Sceptre brand on this forum, and it should give you a good idea as to the opinions of the brand.

PS You should be aware that the search is confined to the postings time period shown under Display Option near the bottom of the page. The normal default time period is about a week. To extend this time frame use the Display Option area to extend the postings shown, then seach again. The forum also has some advanced search options you should explore.
Thanx for the welcome and the info. I did the search for this TV and it came up with lots of results although not much about this particular model.

However while I was looking around I came across Olevia Syntax 30" HDTV where the guy had an actuall review for this TV and it looked impressive. So would this TV be better then the one I listed before or would a SCEPTRE X30SV-NagaIII Silver 30" be better. Also if you guys can suggest anything better please let me know.

I need as much input on this as I can get since I will most likely be buying a new TV soon and I want to get most bang for my buck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i think that sceptre is a pretty old model.

i would try to hold out for the new syntax lt26hvx or westinghouse ltv27w6.

there's no rush if you're mainly using it for xbox360, it won't be out until november. your main concern using it with 360 will be the response time and black levels. i thinks lots of people are going to buy an lcd hdtv for the 360 and find that black levels are horrible on many lcd's for games with very dark sections.

also, the longer you wait to purchase an lcd, the better bargain you can get.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about Samsung 30" Widescreen Flat-Tube HDTV with HDMI from BestBuy or one of those new Sceptre 37" 16:9 HDTV LCD's Resolution: 1920 x 1080 and 1080p.

Which one of these would be better for Xbox360/PS3 but I will use this TV for watching movies and also computer as well. I'm mainly after better image quality and if there is something better in that price range please let me know.

Also charlie22 do you have a link to those TV's cause I couldn't find them anywhere.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
If 30" suits you a CRT would be perfect for almost every application. I haven't seen too much PC use on HDTV CRTs though, but I'd assume they'd do just as great as a PC CRT. I'd say if you will do lots of PC use and need a bigger screen LCD would be best. An LCD would also be great for gaming except for the obvious black level deficiencies. If you are after image quality mostly and won't be using the display primarily for PC use then plasma is the best choice for sizes 42" and up for sure. You should read the PDF in the plasma VS DLP/LCD thread. Like th eothers have said, it's all up to your eyes and what you need the panle for most.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There has been some threads on PC use w/HD CRTs I believe it is in the HTPC forum, or maybe it was the CRT forum. Anyway it is possible to use a HD CRT as a monitor however, resolution problems as well as the fear of burn in seem to be big problems with this solution.

I own one of the Syntax 30" LCDs it is used as a computer monitor, and for my Gamecube through the HD cables. I am very pleased with its performance

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
What resolution problem do they have? I can't see anyone wanting over 1080p for general use. Perhaps for photo editing or the like you'd want more, but for general use that's more than enough. The burn in issue is really only an issue of fear IMO. I think it's a case of the bark being worse than the bite.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
What resolution problem do they have? I can't see anyone wanting over 1080 lines for general use. Perhaps for photo editing or the like you'd want more, but for general use that's more than enough. The burn in issue is really only an issue of fear IMO. I think it's a case of the bark being worse than the bite.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Spoke to Westinghouse on the 27". Here is what they said:

Will the LTV 27w6 HD have cablecard or just the tuner without

cablecard?

Westinghouse: built-in HDTV tuner (for terrestrial) without cable-card.

Also is the 8ms responce time actually 8ms rising and 8ms

declining?

Westinghouse: 8ms (switching between) Gray to Gray. That's to say not 8 ms rise

time nor 8 ms fall time. Gray to Gray is more commonly used to compare

panel for video/movie application. It's a tougher standard than

rise/fall in black and white, which is more used more for display PC

content.

Also a question as to energy usage, other brands claim energy star

approved. Is this model energy star compliant?

Westinghouse: No, although it has some power management built-in.

The Westinghouse seems to be a value compromise which is hitting a very strategic price point and comes with an HDTV Tuner for Terrestrial. The responce time AND resolution looks sweet and the panel is definitely going to be Chi Mei's best yet for 27".

I will wait for them to come out in the stores. The lack of Cablecard AND Energy Star compliance kind of disappointed me. Still not decided on which TV I will buy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
after looking at the specs again on the westinghouse, it looks even better.

i never realized it had hdmi-hdcp, dvi-hdcp, vga, and 2 component inputs.

it's got all the bases covered as far as connectivity.

now i just need to know when i can see one in best buy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When will those TV's be out and will they be in bigger size?

P.S. I would love to buy Plasma but they cost way to much and are out of my budget. If you any that I could find for $1500-$1800 that has decent specs please let me know.

Basically I just want my Xbox360/PS3 games to look good and better then what they would on my 27" Sony Trinitron.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quote:
When will those TV's be out and will they be in bigger size?

Basically I just want my Xbox360/PS3 games to look good and better then what they would on my 27" Sony Trinitron.
i don't know when those 2 lcd tv's are coming out. the syntax is supposed to be out any day now. the westinghouse is "fall", whenever that is.

if playing widescreen hi-def games from xbox360 and ps3 is your only goal (you don't need giant computer monitor and don't care about 1080p), you should probably be looking at a hd crt like the samsung slim fit 30" hdtv.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie22
i don't know when those 2 lcd tv's are coming out. the syntax is supposed to be out any day now. the westinghouse is "fall", whenever that is.

if playing widescreen hi-def games from xbox360 and ps3 is your only goal (you don't need giant computer monitor and don't care about 1080p), you should probably be looking at a hd crt like the samsung slim fit 30" hdtv.
Hmmm I was just looking at NewEgg couple of minutes ago and I came across SYNTAX LT32HV Black 32" LCD HDTV. These seem to have much better specs then the previous one and they are around 1K which is perfect for my budget.

Here are the specs:

Panel TFT LCD

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Screen Size 32"

Recommended Resolution 1366x768

Viewing Angle 178°(H) / 178°(V)

Brightness 800 cdm/2

Contrast Ratio 1200:1

Response Time 8ms

Connectivity

Input Video Compatibility NTSC, CATV, HDTV (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)

Input Connectors HDTV Component Input: Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr x 2 (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)

Composite Video Input: RCA x 2

S-Video Input: 4-pin DIN x 3

Audio Input: RCA L/R x 6

DVI-Input: DVI - I x 1

VGA Input: D-Sub - 15 x 1

Service Port: RS232 x 1

Earphone Out: Mini - Stereo Jack x 1

Audio Output: R/L RCA preout and Sub-Woofer preout

D-Sub 1

DVI 1

Video S-Video, Composite Video, Component Video

Will this TV have better image quality then that Samsung CRT 30" for Xbox360/PS3?

·
Registered
288 Posts
HD CRTs have great pictures and probably the best blacks you can get (I can not comment on the Samsung since I have not seen one). Charlie said it right if you don't need a computer monitor then I think a CRT would be great for you and it might be the cheapest option

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Quote:
Reviews on the Slimfit have been less than stellar. (See the Direct-View CRT forum for more.) LCD will give you a lot sharper image, especially if you can deliver a signal at the display's native rez. Xbox360 compatibility seems to be the hot ticket these days in large format displays. Can the Xbox360 output at 1366x768 rez though? If not, perhaps a panel with 1280x720p or 1920x1080p native rez might give a little sharper image, since it might permit 1:1 pixel mapping? Not sure about that.

Sounds like you're on the right track though RedDragonXXX. Most important specs for LCD PQ are probably contrast ratio (the higher the better), pixel response (the smaller the better, especially for gaming), viewing angle (~170 degrees in both directions). Then perhaps lamp life for better longevity on your investment (though most are already pretty high, in the 50,000 - 65,000 hour range).

LCDs may not have the absolute best blacks, but the higher the contrast ratio, the more manageable they become. If this issue concerns you, then 1000:1 is probably the minimum I would look for. Be advised though that mfrs have different ways of calculating these ratings (eg, dynamic vs. static C/R) and you can't always trust their specs. So confirm it by eye. If you want the blacks to look "blacker", don't view these displays in such a dark setting (or in torch mode). Some dim backlighting and surrounding illumination (not shining directly on the screen) should make blacks look deeper while also reducing eyestrain.

If you're curious about the Samsung Slimfit CRT, you can check it out at either BB or Sears. I think you'll be disappointed though. IMO the CRTs with best PQ at the moment are probably the HD Panasonics. They don't seem to include 720p support though, and not sure what, if any, kind of computer inputs they may have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU
Reviews on the Slimfit have been less than stellar. (See the Direct-View CRT forum for more.) LCD will give you a lot sharper image, especially if you can deliver a signal at the display's native rez. Xbox360 compatibility seems to be the hot ticket these days in large format displays. Can the Xbox360 output at 1366x768 rez though? If not, perhaps a panel with 1280x720p or 1920x1080p native rez might give a little sharper image, since it might permit 1:1 pixel mapping? Not sure about that.

Sounds like you're on the right track though RedDragonXXX. Most important specs for LCD PQ are probably contrast ratio (the higher the better), pixel response (the smaller the better, especially for gaming), viewing angle (~170 degrees in both directions). Then probably lamp life for better longevity on your investment.

LCDs may not have the absolute best blacks, but the higher the contrast ratio, the more manageable they become. If this issue concerns you, then 1000:1 is probably the minimum I would look for. Be advised though that mfrs have different ways of calculating these ratings (eg, dynamic vs. static C/R) and you can't always trust their specs. So confirm it by eye. If you want the blacks to look "blacker", don't view these displays in such a dark setting (or in torch mode). Some dim backlighting and surrounding illumination (not shining directly on the screen) should make blacks look deeper while also reducing eyestrain.

If you're curious about the Samsung Slimfit, you can check it out at either BB or Sears. I think you'll be disappointed though. IMO the CRTs with best PQ at the moment are probably the HD Panasonics. They don't seem to include 720p support though, and not sure what, if any, kind of computer inputs they may have.
Thanx for your response ADU and for all of your guys help, but I'm still little confused. I don't know weather to get CRT or LCD.

I'm currently looking at Sony 34" KD34XBR960 since it got a top choice over at CNET for best image quality and they said that it had one of the best black that they seen so far. This TV seems much more promising then Samsung 32" CRT which got some bad reviews along with the they SYNTAX 32" LCD.

What do you guys think about this HDTV (Sony), would it be better for my needs (Xbox360/PS3, DVD, TV) then the LCD. Only other LCD that seem's decent enough is the Sceptre 37" that supports 1920 x 1080 res and 1080p which would be perfect for PS3 since it will run on 2x1K res and it will fully use 1080p.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quote:
I'm currently looking at Sony 34" KD34XBR960 since it got a top choice over at CNET for best image quality and they said that it had one of the best black that they seen so far.
that sony will probably have a better picture than any lcd you can buy. however, i would NOT pay $1899 for a hd crt. there are plenty of hd crt's out there for under $900.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.