AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I owned the AV2100 version of this and it worked fine. I like the feel of "real" buttons so I sold it and purchased the MX-500.

Just my option.

Don

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I am not a big fan of sony LCD remotes, I find they are too big and clunky Plus except for the labels at the bottom of the screen the rest are fixed.

There is a review of it on remote central. It is well worth reading if you are thinking of getting one, there are also two Sony forums and most of the talk is on the 3000

·
Registered
235 Posts
i own it

feels to big for me and i missed the feel of real buttons

its a solid well built remote but uness you like ALWAYS using two hands to control stuff i dont think youll like it

stay away ...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
except for the labels at the bottom of the screen the rest are fixed.
This is wrong, you can change the LCD buttons but the problem is that each button only has a few choices but it can be done. This process is not explained very well in the manual but remotecentral shows you how to easily complete this task.

I own this remote control and found with the addition of the cheap Radio Shack 6-1 remote to learn the discrete codes that I couldn't ask for more from my remote. I control all of the electronics in the room along with the lights and fireplace. I was looking at some of the Pronto remotes as they are indeed more robust with features but with the $109 price tag I decided to give this remote a try. I found that the macro function pleased my fiancee as that she can now watch TV without have to change inputs. In fact, I have a macro for her that reads "TLC", it turns on the TV, AMP and STB, changes each to the proper setting for her to watch her favorite channel.

As indicated above, read the reviews on remotecentral. They are very well written. My only complaint about the remote is that the manual is terrible but RemoteCentral has a good write-up on how to get things done.

This remote is a two hand remote so it can feel big but I have adjusted to handling it. To answer one of your questions, I have dropped the remote without problem on the carpet but from no higher than 3 feet. Hope this helps.

Finally, I have not owned any of the other "popular" universal remotes so I can not comment on how I would compare but if I were doing it again and didn't mind dropping $400, I'd want a Pronto so that I could connect it to the computer and download files.

Good luck,

T.Wells

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
This is wrong, you can change the LCD buttons but the problem is that each button only has a few choices but it can be done. This process is not explained very well in the manual but remotecentral shows you how to easily complete this task.
you cannot call it whatever you want, that to me is fixed

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
you cannot call it whatever you want, that to me is fixed
Okay, I'll buy that. Good point! :)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I think it looks cool, but all my remotes always end on the

top of the closet, since I never use them.

Nicholas

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I just sold mine off. I was reading through the documenatation and didn't care for some of the limitations that it had. Plus, as the others have indicated, it's not a good remote for using with only one hand. It's more of a "commander" than a "remote." It would be a great device in a home theater where you had it sitting on a console next to your theater seats.

The MX-500 is awesome. I sold mine so I could get the RM-AV3000. Now, I'm without my trusty MX-500. :( - On a semi-related note, Costco.Com had the MX-500 for $99.99 + $6.00 shipping earlier this week. However, they have apparently sold out and the item is no longer listed on their Web site.

Instead, I'm going to go the route of a $25.00 OneForAll remote and a JP1 cable for $18.00. I'm going to program all the buttons I need via my PC and download the functions to the remote.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.