AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ive been shopping around for a tv for a while now..

i want lcd (or led) 46inch

i play a good amount of xbox


im a college student and am looking to spend no more the $750


There is a 46 inch Toshiba 46SL417U led tv for 750.00 at walmart.

(found it on dealnews . com)


however my dad said he heard toshiba is trash?


sorry i cant post links yet. thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyum /forum/post/20811554


however my dad said he heard toshiba is trash?

I wouldn't say Toshiba is trash. It is just that they outsource their mid to low line LCD to Taiwanese company Funai. So the reviews for Toshiba TVs has been a mix bag.


If I was in market, my first choice would be Sony 46 inch LCD KDL46BX420. It got good reviews with respectable black level, and BB have it on sale for $750.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...&skuId=2072085
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for the response! that is disappointing the toshiba looked like a great deal...


but i have looked at that bravia before and was scared away because of the 60hz. I have researched but honestly still dont understand why i should purchase 60 or 120.


i play a fair amount of video games


also the msrp is 899.99 so it makes me feel like the tv is cheap and i am not getting that great of a deal. Is 770 for that tv pretty good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyum /forum/post/20811863


but i have looked at that bravia before and was scared away because of the 60hz. I have researched but honestly still dont understand why i should purchase 60 or 120.

120hz suppose to reduce jutter associated with 24f being shown on 60hz TVs (3;2 pulldown) by 5:5 frame repeating at 120 Hz. Some people like the effect since it smooth out the picture, and some video purist don't since it take away the "look of film".


I have 60hz LCD and have never noticed any jutter or lags associted with films or fast moving objects on TV.


Quote:
Is 770 for that tv pretty good?

I say that is good price. You could always go to store and check it out personally and see how it compare with other TVs. Here is a professional review of this TV. They really like it.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow that is a really great thorough review website!

thank you


i guess my issue with 60, 120hz is i honestly cant tell the difference in the store so maybe i shouldn't worry about it.


Would you recommend me picking this tv up now from best buy or waiting a little while and hoping for a better sale price?


and i recently have gotten into downloading tv shows and such watching them on my computer would i just need a hdmi cord to display my shows on the tv?


im fairly new to all of this and not the most skilled person with electronics


Thanks again


edit: fuaark ive been thinking about it and i highly doubt ill be able to afford this tv 750 is the very height of my limit INCLUDING TAX and i dont have a job at the moment so it looks like im sol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Basically, 120Hz is better for viewing movies such as bluray.


60Hz is fine when playing games, once you introduce the 120hz into gaming it's a non factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh ok great that explains alot so 60hz would work fine for me.


my buddy keeps insisting to me that led tvs have much better picture quality and he regrets not buying one... whats up with that?


also any suggestions on other tvs? I think im coming to the realization i may not be able to afford a nice 46inch and have to settle for 40. I need the price to be around 700 so i make the 750 cut after taxes.


Thanks again for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my friends keep saying that i will regret getting lcd and should go led and that i will be perfectly happy with 40inches. What do you think of this tv from sams?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...ch_Samsung_LED


it looks real nice but i cant find any reviews on it cause apparently the 5005 model number is for sams/costco.


im not really a fan of the plastic liner on these tvs however :/


what tv could i look up to see a review for this?


Thanks and

sorry for the double post i couldn't figure out how to edit my last post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyum /forum/post/20814406


my friends keep saying that i will regret getting lcd and should go led and that i will be perfectly happy with 40inches. What do you think of this tv from sams?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...ch_Samsung_LED


it looks real nice but i cant find any reviews on it cause apparently the 5005 model number is for sams/costco.


im not really a fan of the plastic liner on these tvs however :/


what tv could i look up to see a review for this?


Thanks and

sorry for the double post i couldn't figure out how to edit my last post.

LED TVs are still LCD. There are two ways that LCD TVs are "lit," either by CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent) or LED (Light Emitting Diode). Edge-lit LED/LCD TVs are more prone to screen uniformity issues because the lighting is around the edges only so it's hard for even lighting to make it across the entire screen. More upscale "LED" TVs do a better job than cheaper ones. The best kind of LED lighting is full-array backlighting, also known as local dimming, but they are at the very top of the line.


CCFL/LCDs are truly "backlit," not edge-lit, so they have fewer screen uniformity issues such as clouding or flashlighting that may or may not plague edge-lit LED/LCDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim
The best kind of LED lighting is full-array backlighting, also known as local dimming, but they are at the very top of the line.
Not really AKA.


There are edge lit panels w/LED that have local dimming.

There are full array panels w/LED that do not have local dimming.

Best bet is to check specs before purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
Not really AKA.


There are edge lit panels w/LED that have local dimming.

There are full array panels w/LED that do not have local dimming.

Best bet is to check specs before purchase.
You're right of course. I got a little hurried with my answer because the little woman was hustling me out the door.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top