AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im setting up a system which is mainly for gaming but also some movies. I have a HK AVR635 as my reciever.

Clarity is very important to me since its for gaming. I was wondering what you guys would recommend.

·
Registered
16,907 Posts
I use a PC and a good set of closed-ear headphones.

:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
follow this rule i came up with: if a "whole system" (with good receiver, speakers, player, etc...) sounds good in 2 channel music...then it *should* sound good in home theatre...if it sounds good in home theatre,...then it should sound good in video games....

·
Registered
29 Posts
what kinda soundcard do you have?

assuming it has digital out's, you should run it optically or coaxial to the receiver for best quality...

after that, like addiwei said, if it's good for HT and 2-channel, it'll be good for games. I'll assume you're wanting 5.1 for this?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
My son uses the HSU VT12 sat system , along with the STF-2 sub and a HK 235 receiver. We ordered two extra satellites from HSU, for a 7.1 system. Since part of thefront L/R drivers are in the center channel, it works pretty good for a near field setup. (he's using a 27" HDTV monitor.) Of course the fact that we got it real cheap, during a Comp USA close-out sale, helps too.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Do what addiwei said and go shopping for nice 2-channel speakers (e.g. left and right) Bookshelf is fine as long as you get a sub. Once you find something that is clear enough for you, get the center and rears to match and you're in heaven. That's basically what I did... if it's good for HT it should be good for games.

Start with Klipsch if you like bright... they are fatiguing (to me) for music but they are pretty crisp and you might like the effect for home theater.

On second thought, you already have an HK 635, what are you using for speakers and why isn't that good enough for your games?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm using the Fluance SX-HTB set, coupled with a DIY Dayton Quatro sonosub.

Playing Crimson Skies has never been better. The bass is just great, as is the soundtrack. Have yet to get my Halo 2 fix.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I use my main (and only) rig for 2-channel listening, movies, and gaming. Sounds great!

Halo 2 is a great game, but I'm hooked on Far Cry (for the PC), since it was cheap, and Diablo II (w/Expansion) - since that too was cheap.

Christian

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Lol...a good system is more for movies/music for an HTPC.

Gaming...well 60kbps compression is considered 'very good' by FPS standards, mainly because of sure number of recorded conversations and voices game's need, so quality is not a strong point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.