AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you look for in speakers? Is it clarity, db's, bass, esthetics, etc? I'm curious as to what people prefer when it comes to speakers. If money wasn't an object, which speakers would you own?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The driving force behind my speaker purchase is clarity. In my opinion nothing beats the ability to hear every instrument in the orchestra or the hypnotic sound of a cello. I don't care much about esthetics, to a point obviously. If money was no object it would definetly be the PMC MB2 XBDi's with a pair of Bryston 28BSST2's driving them. Heaven.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product....e=view&pid=201

·
Registered
856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofarzong /forum/post/20839780

What do you look for in speakers? Is it clarity, db's, bass, esthetics, etc? I'm curious as to what people prefer when it comes to speakers. If money wasn't an object, which speakers would you own?

They need to look good for them even to be considered in "most" rooms in my home. I have a dedicated theater where I can get away with big black boxes, but not for the rest of my home.

After that, I like high sensitivity speakers that get up and sing without a million watts going to them for HT, have good midrange clarity, and the vocals are open and not harsh.

For music, I enjoy a more laid back speaker than I do for HT. I like B&W speakers for instance over Klipsch for music. Vice versa could be said for HT.

For a 2-channel setup I've always wanted to get a pair of B&W 802's.

For HT I'd like some big JBL theater speakers and multiple subwoofers.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj /forum/post/20839839

After that, I like high sensitivity speakers that get up and sing without a million watts going to them for HT, have good midrange clarity, and the vocals are open and not harsh.

What he said ....except I don't care if they are butt ugly as long as they sound great and have dymamics out the wazoo

·
Registered
952 Posts
I like speakers with consistent polars and a frequency response that slowly rises at ~3dB/octave as you go lower in frequency. Distortion needs to be low, and stay low with transients. The system should be free of resonances, and the noise floor lower than 30dBspl at the listening position. Frequency response should be wide enough to cover the source material: 20Hz to 20kHz usually seems like a good target, but rolling off a bit early usually isn't too noticeable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well in my speakers, i like.... A tweeter, a woofer, maybe a crossover.... and a box.... those are good too.lol j/k

For me, its clairity. my speakers must produce good sound. The kind of sound that make you stop in your tracks and not be able to move until the song is over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.