Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I know that I'm relatively new to the forum, but one area that seems to be lacking is a place to put Files like calculators and FAQ. A lot of the senior members of the board have contributed a wealth of information and it's all here...somewhere. But wouldn't it be nice if we started putting together some FAQs that answered questions like:

"What is GOM? Oh, OK, where do I get it and how do I put it on my walls?"

"What the heck is TS? Where do I buy some?"

"Why is Dennis Erskine so darn smart?"

"What are the magic dimensions for my room and why should I not get overly hung up over them?"

"What's a proscenium?"

"Where do I buy curtains?"

You know what I'm talking about, right? Anyway, just an idea to help those new to the forum find a lot of these common answers and help the experienced members from always answering the same questions again and again.

And I know the next question you're going to ask...and yes, I will volunteer to help put some of these together if some of you will help me.

Let me know what you're thoughts are.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some suggestions for sections (that could perhaps grow into entire FAQs):

-- Sources for construction materials (local TS suppliers, architectural products suppliers like Outwater, railing from Lawrence Metal, etc.)

-- Sources for Theater accessories

-- Wall Construction Techniques (layering drywall, floating floors and ceilings, etc.)

-- Acoustics and Room Tuning

-- Lighting (sconces, ropelight, ceiling cans, etc.)

-- Fabrics, molding, columns, pilasters

-- Curtains (sources, motorizing drapes, masking techniques and systems)

Help me out by naming some others you would like to see or interest in any of the above suggestions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I check back in here every now and then even though most of my construction is done. Since people are often posting the same questions, I even get to answer some on a few rare occasions.

I think your idea is a good one although postings on this board would probably drop, since people could find their answers on their own.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mcody,

That's a good point that I had overlooked. I certainly wouldn't want to diminish participation on the boards and lessen people's involvement in discussion.

I was originally thinking of compiling some of the great historical information that has come up in discussions over the last few years. I've spent weeks performing searches (possibly at times without the right keywords or direction) in pursuit of newbie information so I didn't ask stupid questions. While I know "there are no stupid questions," I'm sure there are others like myself who are afraid to participate until they feel they've done some due diligence.

Maybe we could limit the scope of the FAQs to the most repetitive topics that people don't like to rehash repeatedly (Are there any? I can't imagine people want to repeatedly tell others that 2 x 4s aren't, but maybe I'm wrong). I would also imagine that compiling lists of sources for materials and supplies might be in this category.

Thanks for the feedback. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
I think your idea is a good one although postings on this board would probably drop, since people could find their answers on their own.
my experience is that even with a FAQ people still like asking the same questions over and over again:)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Somewhere on www.audiogon.com they have a begginers home theater section that is quite extensive and to me,not so begginer. I dont have the time now to look for it but will post when the kids are asleep.

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.