Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I found this post in another forum regarding the power conditioners and power cord:

QUOTE "The power cord has zero effect on any amplifier. If the power cord was inadequate and enough electrons couldn't get through--it would melt or burst into flame. Electrons couldn't care less what wire they are going through to enter a receiver, cd player, or whatever. It immediately hits a transformer anyway as it enters the component, because components use DC electricity (the way Edison wanted), but our transmission lines send electricity by AC (the way Westinghouse wanted). AC won because DC could only travel a couple of miles before losing a lot of its power. AC could go hundreds of miles.

This is also why electric conditioners are silly. Now if you could put the conditioner inside the component after it was transformed into DC they might have an argument. But the transformer changes the electricity to DC and consitions it---some may argue it could use extra conditioning after that point, but I know Bryston says that is BS, as do all the acoustic and electrical engineers I ever talked to that didn't have a financial advntage in saying otherwise.

As far as speaker wire--do you think the speaker companies use ultra expensive wire that runs over a hundred feet inside their speakers? Why use wire that is any different after it leaves the speaker? The electrons don't care as long as the wire is thick enough to carry the load and has roughly the same impedance as the wire in the speaker--which almost all wire does.

Don't believe the hifi mags that rave about wires. They get paid a fortune in advertising by wire companies and retailers make more money on wire than they do on most components. It is their big cash cow--it is what keeps many in business. " QUOTE

QUite interesting dont you think? They mentioned how AR cables are as good as the much more expensive Monster brand.

Regards

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Here's a can opener for that can of worms.

I agree with everything except the conditioner part. There are times when there is interference in the power and a conditioner can eliminate that. If you don't have a problem, then don't bother with it.

And the Monster cables are way over priced. I'd take almost any other cable than buy their over hyped stuff.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Speaking of which, can anybody tell me if it's worthwhile conditioning the power going into your projector? I have a D.E. design and he specs out a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the projector. Other salesman think it's better to plug the unit into a line conditioner like that of a Richard Gray six outlet uncompromising parrallel inductor for instaneous current supply.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Depends on the projector. Some require a cool down sequence. In that case a UPS is a good idea as it gives you enough time to shut it down properly.

The arguments for/against power line conditioning could go on forever. If your power has a lot of noise on it you may see a difference. If you spend a lot you may think you see a diference (fer people will admit to themselves they just threw away their money). There are so many unique variables it becomes extremely difficult to say what will happen. You may see a big improvement or nothing at all. There are a few things we can say that are very probable - a line conditioner won't make your picture worse and there are a lot of other things you could spend your money on that will give you much more for your money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.