AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run into this purchasing dilemma a few times, and I'm just curious how others on the forum go about making their purchase decisions - and I KNOW there are some gear-heads here:)

Do you guys mind buying gear - even pricey stuff - without a warranty in order to get a good price? Here's what I'm rolling around in my noggin:

Currently I'm looking at possibly purchasing a pricey universal remote from a private seller in the US. The remote would cost 1/2 what I'd pay for it here in Canada. But, if it had any warranty at all, it would be a US warranty - not terribly useful for me. Also, in buying from a private seller I woudn't have the protection I'd have if bought from a local dealer, in case I don't like something about the remote.

Then again...buying the remote locally is a big financial stretch, while paying the private seller price is much less painful.

What d'ya think? How do you approach these decisions.

Rich H

BTW, I was in the same position in buying my Pioneer 49TX receiver. Too expensive here, but I got a great price from a US dealer and went for it.

I'm comfortable with that one, because I saved so much on the 49TX price that it is very unlikely I'd experience a manufacturing problem that would be costly enough to make up the price difference.

·
Banned
178 Posts
It depends on what the item is. An example is here, since I'm from Canada.

It depends if I can get a discount on certain items here or not.

When I purchased my DVD player the Sony DVP-NS900V I paid the full retail on it, which was $1500 (taxes were waved).

I could have purchased it on the net for alittle over $700U.S. That means I oculd have had everything for no more then $1100CAN. I would have gone that way.

I would never buy speakers or anything that had a warranty of more then 1 year over the net. As you can see. i would have saved $400 for that player, and since the player only had a 1 year warranty, I would have taken my chances. When an item has a 3-5 year warranty.. then I usually buy it locally.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Last year in June of 2001 I purchased a HDTV for full $2999 price and 5 year warranty, of course this was at my 7 miles away dealership. Now I don't have the *worry* of dealing with who knows who 'online' to get warranty work done should I need it!:)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Any time you have a choice you need to consider your own individual circumstances. I live in the Silicon Valley and have personal friends that are world class audio designers and techs who can fix most things that go bad without needing factory service. If I lived in Chicago, where I grew up, my decisions would be a lot less risky. In many cases these designers/techs can not only repair what goes bad but can make modifications that substantielly improve the performance while repairing the damage.

In the case of a remote, I would buy it from an experienced dealer who lives close enough to help troubleshoot the problems that inevitably come up in trying to use one of these devices. For instance, the Philips Pronto is notoriously unreliable. My local dealer provides replacements to owners on the spot and then takes care of getting the defective units replaced by Philiips. They also are very helpful in getting new users started.

·
Registered
458 Posts
After having my Denon 3300 in the shop twice, I am very thankful for the warranty.

You don't know the value of a warranty until you need it.

Jason

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"After having my Denon 3300 in the shop twice, I am very thankful for the warranty. You don't know the value of a warranty until you need it.

Very true. I live in Toronto and had considered buying a plasma from the US for the lower prices. I decided that was too much money to gamble without getting a warranty.

It turned out my first plasma was defective...but it was a peculiar defect that is not really covered in the warranty. However, since I bought it here, and had a Canadian warranty, Panasonic Canada dealt with the problem and gave me a brand new plasma. If I had got that screen from the States I would have been in deep doodoo.

Rich.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you can get something for half-price without a warranty, that's simple, buy it! If it breaks, buy another one or get something else if you don't trust it. At half price I would take my chances. Beyond that it would depend on the discount and how good the warranty is.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I purchased my Denon3300 from a local retailer and paid $200 more than I could have over the internet. I did it for the comfort level of a face to face encounter should I ever need repair.

Well... about 6 months after purchase the cooling fan began making a high pitched squeal....I went to the retailer and they told me to visit the Denon website. I was astonished. I learned my lesson, not another dollar of mine will be spent in that store.

Don't assume that the extra money spent with the local guy will guarantee your satisfaction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.