AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first off this is one of those questions many of you that have been around CRT projectors for a while will say can't be answers , it's a stupid question or something like that. So please just pass it on if you think so. I'm new and I'm trying to educate myself. One is going to ask stupid questions till one gets educated.

As I said, I'm new to CRT front projection and I want to get the most for my money and I know some of you out there have ideas about what is the best choice and the ones to stay away from. So if you could give me an idea, your idea of what would be the best (if possible) choice from the projectors list below. If I should be looking at another Mfg., by all means let me know.

I have narrowed it down to one of these projectors. I'm looking at used under 5k hours on the tubes or reconditioned units $3000 or under. I have found units within my budget and conditions by these Mfg. Assuming they are equal in hours and condition what would be the best choice? Should I strike any from my list because they have faults? As far as picture quality I'm looking for something that will display DVD's and HDTV on a screen 7' to 8' wide as close as I can get for my money to theater quality. Who (Mfg.) had the best picture for the buck?

Sony VPH-1272 or 1272Q ( I see lots of sony's, any to look for, stay away from)

Runco IDP-900a or 980

Barco 800 or 801

Marquee 8501 or 8500

Thanks ....I'm getting close.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
I would stay away from the old Sony's, 1252-1272. If you're looking for a Sony, get a G70 and if you want to spend a little less, look at a Marquee 8500.

If size is an issue, check out the Sony D-50 or the Electrohome ECP-4500's.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey, I am new to CRT's too. I don't know everything yet........but I can tell you one thing. You need to see as many CRT setups as you can. I just started, so I'm by far an expert, but I can tell that this is going to have to be a patient process to be happy in the end. You can go about it two ways I imagine. Either buy something now to start off with, just to get your ears wet. Or, you can save up, and buy the best one you can with the funds you have set aside when the big decision comes down. From reading threads on this forum, it's easy to see that different people have different opinions. I think color is extremely important, so I will probably go with an NEC. But, I'm a long way from deciding. Do you like to tweak, or do you want something that is "automatic" if that is a fair word when it comes to CRT. Maybe some others will chime in. Go see some CRT projectors in your area. I was lucky enough to see 3 in my general area.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Durwood
Go see some CRT projectors in your area. I was lucky enough to see 3 in my general area.

Sounds like a great idea. Anyone know where one might find CRT systems setup in the Sacramento, CA area?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
i would stay away from the barco 800

but i would add to that list a barco 808

XANATOS

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Sundance,

Hammerhead technology has a lot of projectors going through their place. They are in Chico. Call and see if they have any set up. They were supposed to be working on a showroom.

I have an NEX XG-110LC, which isn't on your list and am 3 hours away, so I can't really help you myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am in Northern New Jersey, so anyone nearby who is willing to show off their system would be really appreciated. My Vidikron VP40SE is sort of dying and I don't think I want to pump any money into repairing it again. I have asked this question in another post, but I would be really curious to hear opinings of my Vidikron vs. a new(er) Marquee 8500 or similar.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
the vidikron vp40se is a 7 inch tubed es focus video only projector

no hdtv for you

but it has a great looking case

the marquee 8500 is a 8 inch em focus hd ready projector

the 8500 has a utilitarian case but a great picture

XANATOS

·
Registered
849 Posts
I disagree with your statement. I have a Sony 1272 and it puts out a fantastic picture, I feel it's a great value. VERY reliable and will handle any signal/source with ease. And parts/service are easily available.

It's a great projector. It should not be over looked.

The G70 is a superior projector, but will cost more than the poster wanted to spend.

Quote:
Originally posted by techman707
I would stay away from the old Sony's, 1252-1272. If you're looking for a Sony, get a G70 and if you want to spend a little less, look at a Marquee 8500.

If size is an issue, check out the Sony D-50 or the Electrohome ECP-4500's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Xanatos,

The case aside (yes it is cool!), will the Marquee 8500 or similar have a far superior picture than what I have become accustomed to? I just am trying to see if it's worth plunking down more cash on a new/used PJ, as opposed to fixing it. Plus, I will need a new screen, some custom woodwork in the ceiling to accomodate the 16:9 motorized screen, etc..

My bigger concern is that I am feeding my DirectTV through a ReplayTV 4500, set on regular quality. I know there is a lot of pixellation. It hasn't bothered me very much on my 80" screen - probably because the PJ was a bit dim and fuzzy to begin with. I just love my networked Replay and I don't want to give it up. So, will a great new 8" PJ, on a wider, 16:9 screen just exacerbate the problem. I don't want to spend all this $$ just to be disappointed. In the near term, I will not be watching HDTV (I think).

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Don't worry about what projector you get to replace the Vidikron, just about any will be as good as the one you have already, as they are only as good as the source. It doesn't matter too much if you have a G90 if you are feeding it straight video, buy a solid line doubler AT LEAST, use an HTPC for DVD playback, and for goodness sake get an HD source, you'll NEVER regret it.

HD is so much better than regular video its like going from walking to the mall to flying to Hawaii for vacations.

PS: It doesn't matter how you've got regular video setup, you can run it through a line doubler as the last step before the projector, better yet is a Lumagen Vision scaler as the last step before the projector.

When you've got a signal better than regular video, buy a Marquee, or NEC PG/XG, best bang for the buck and the Marquee is still produced if for some reason you want to overspend on new replacement parts(which you'd never have to do for any common crt projector as there are lots of sources for used parts on this forum).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks Paul,

Hmmm. Line Doubler (or better), HTPC, Marquee... Sound like this is gonna cost me. Maybe I should have taken up Pottery as a hobby instead of this...

OK. but I really have to find someone local who can guide me with what to buy and to install all this stuff. I actually have a HD Dish on my roof, but I no DSS receiver for it. It will be a pretty simple procedure to add HDTV - as long as I buy a receiver. But... I still cannot use my replayTV with HD :-(.

And, I will need to replace my A/V Receiver with a new one too... I won't get A/V separates because they are just to complicated to use (at least for my wife). Will need to get one with component switching...

Any thoughts??? I am in Northern NJ...

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
For simplicity, get a good home theater receiver that can be setup in a custom configuration, AND get a good remote.

My wife has her own Pronto I setup for her, I do all the work, she just has to hit the clearly labeled buttons on the remote and it just works.

If you run all of your regular video sources through your home theater receiver, it can be your switcher, then you just need the line doubler(or preferrably Lumagen Vision scaler). It will be the last step in the video chain and will scale all your regular video sources and pass through your HD source. The home theater receiver does double duty as a regular video switcher/controller, and sound reproducer(of course). The scaler/doubler handles switching high resolution video sources before outputting to your projector. The custom setup Pronto combines control of all the items in one hand held package. Make sure to get a Pronto TSU-2000, and NOT the newer 3000 if you have a Marquee projector as they use a high frequency IR that the newer Pronto has trouble with for some reason.

Programming and setting all of this up is daunting, but once done, is done. I wouldn't know who to recommend but I'm sure you could do it all yourself with enough time and reading.

Buying used can be a great way to cut your costs on all this too. The Lumagen is the only item you're not likely to find readily in used condition, and it is reasonable at $1,000. new. The Pronto is as little as $100. used if you get lucky, and a good Marquee can be had as low as $2,000. or less if you get lucky again or are able to live with a tiny bit of tube wear(which is often not intrusive at all).

As for a home theater receiver, I'd pick a Denon AVR 4800 but they are pretty expensive and you can likely find a cheaper alternative which is almost as good.

I'd wager with careful shopping you can renew your home theater for significantly less than your initial cost and improve it immensely too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Paul,

I have a Denon 3801??? in my bedroom hooked up to a 42" Fujitsu Plasma and frankly, I really don't like it. It is very confusing to use. No problem, UNLESS someone presses a button that they shouldn't - then wife and I are completely lost. Are the newer Denons a little simpler to use? I was hoping for some type of A/V receiver that can give feedback to the remote (a status screen??). I guess if I have a Pronto, that won't work. I currently have a Marantz Programmable (I forgot the model #, but I guess it's like 8 years old already!). It is big and clumsy, but I have macros stored so that one button will turn everything on and off. Actually, it makes the system very user friendly. If I am not mistaken, the Pronto remotes have a touchscreen. I prefer to feel "buttons" instead. The one problem with my Marantz is I have used up the memory and I cannot add any more commands. Plus, some functions simply don't work - like the remote is not capable of sending out the right frequency. It is probably time for a new one, but I was thinking about the Home Theater Master - #500?? It is more like what I am used to and it has light-up, hard buttons.

Back to A/V receivers... Any thoughts on the SIMPLEST/easiest to use models. I seem to recall that Onkyo made the most user-friendly models. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
The thing I found with the Denon was it was REALLY hard to figure out their horribly written manual, BUT once the thing was configured to work the way you wanted it to, it was all one button changes.

My 8 year old and 10 year old like it too as they just push one button on the remote and it changes the input on the receiver which is configured to the sat dish with the accompanying appropriate sound option and voila. It also chooses the correct Dolby or DTS option automatically after initial setup, and uses the appropriate speakers when configured that way.

Perhaps the 3801 doesn't have the same amount of configure-ability ??

Rotel has a receiver with a built in screen which may improve usability, but I can't speak from experience on that. Integra is an offshoot of Onkyo and has really nicely spec-ed stuff, but again, I don't know from experience if they are more or less user friendly ??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.