AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as you known HDR function makes image more similar with our visual perception. Do you think it is important feature in projector? Does your projector features HDR function?

Welcome to share screenshot before open HDR and after open HDR.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Hi all, as you known HDR function makes image more similar with our visual perception. Do you think it is important feature in projector? Does your projector features HDR function?

Welcome to share screenshot before open HDR and after open HDR.
The thing I find interesting with those two images is that when you look at a scene such as that with your eyes, due to you looking directly towards the sun and you will see the sun pretty much like the first image (i.e. super bright and drowning out any nearby detail) but with colours and depth etc like the second.

Bringing those two things together on a display is a matter of many compromises and how it looks to you/me is always down to individual perception as well.

Sure you can make the image 'accurate' in video terms with patterns and test signals and suchlike, but that may not match how any one individual may perceive things. It is a thorny subject for some.

I for one love the effect on my PJ.

The higher colour depth and space helps an awful lot too mind! :)

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I have been laughing at the comparisons way back to when they would put a promo on a DVD showing how much better BluRay will look. The most beautiful thing on the whole DVD was the 10 seconds of what it would look like on BD including the movie. I always thought why didn’t they make the whole movie BD quality if they could make the promo that good.

Now I’m seeing promos for HDR 4k on SDR BDs and again they look like the images posted above.

I have always run my SDR a little on the bright side and yes I know it is not the same thing, but depending on the media and how and who put it on the media it can seem pretty HDR to me.

Posting a couple promo pics for me to view on my laptop doesn’t really say to much to the merits of HDR for me.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I have been laughing at the comparisons way back to when they would put a promo on a DVD showing how much better BluRay will look. The most beautiful thing on the whole DVD was the 10 seconds of what it would look like on BD including the movie. I always thought why didn’t they make the whole movie BD quality if they could make the promo that good.

Now I’m seeing promos for HDR 4k on SDR BDs and again they look like the images posted above.

I have always run my SDR a little on the bright side and yes I know it is not the same thing, but depending on the media and how and who put it on the media it can seem pretty HDR to me.

Posting a couple promo pics for me to view on my laptop doesn’t really say to much to the merits of HDR for me.
Indeed. It is all how it looks in person that determines if it is 'worth it'. :)

Reactions: bud16415
1 - 5 of 5 Posts