Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 50 or 60 inch display.

Basically what do you think of samsung in general as a company?

Do they make good Plasma TV?

I never hear anyone talking about them.

how do they compare to Panasonic, Pioneer, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Samsung is doing a good job of incorporating the latest technology in their TV's and DVD players to try to get a jump on the competition.

Unfortunately their are a lot of bugs. They do a nice job of sending out patches....but consumer electrics should be plug and play.

They are like the Microsoft of the consumer electronics world.....lots of patches are needed due to defect in design (not manufacturing).

Look at the Rear Projection forum on the upgrades for the Samsung DLP TV's. A nightmare.

Panasonic has just released the best plasma's on the market and the prices are dropping like a rock. Within a month the 42" SD TH-42PA20U Plasma will drop below $3000. ($4500 MSRP).

Picture on the Samsung Plasma's isn't as good. It may need to be tweaked....but in store it is not as good.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
No offense Kosmo, but he didn't ask about DLP or DVD players. I have two Samsung PDPs, an older 42 and new 63. Both have served and continue to perform flawlessly, with fantastic PQ.

This board is pro Fujitsu, Pioneer, and Panasonic. That doesn't mean others should be discounted. Samsung is about to be the worlds largest consumer electronics company, and you only get there by making quality products. They are at the forefront of PDP and LCD technology, and have the world's most advanced flat screen factories coming online soon.

I feel pretty confident that on this forum, Samsung will eventually be described in the same sentence as the other three mentioned above in a short time period.

Bottom line is you should go out and look for yourself. Look at the Samsung and the rest. Make your own decisions on it. But dont be swayed by in store displays or pushy salesman. Pick up the remote and turn down the brightness and contrasts on all of them, then decide.

Good luck, and HTHs,

E. J.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
This board is pro Fujitsu, Panny, and Panasonic....I feel pretty confident that on this forum, Samsung will eventually be described in the same sentence as the other three mentioned above in a short time period.
Uhhh, if this guy thinks Panny and Panasonic are different companies, I would take everything he says with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopurist23
Uhhh, if this guy thinks Panny and Panasonic are different companies, I would take everything he says with a grain of salt.
Oops. Thanks Purist, I have edited my post to represent Panny and Pioneer.

And your 11 posts lend you lots credibility too.

E. J.

·
Registered
798 Posts
You Know what is very funny.........

I have yet to hear from ONE individual who has actually sat down with the HPN 5039 and gave it a fair review. Everyone automatically discounts them without as much as turning one on.

Has anyone actually seen the NEW Hpn 5039??

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Saw one today at BB. My 63 is its bigger brother. Do my reviews of that count?

BTW - the 50 at BB looked great.

E. J.

·
Registered
798 Posts
E,

I agree, I have seen the HPN 6339 and thought it looked great compared to the other large screens currently available. The Commercial version of your screen is not as nice.

The 50", I have yet to actually see but I would think it compares to your monster. Not to mention it can be had for under $6000 and it's DVI is HDCP compliant.

Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have owned the 5039 for about a month now, and I have no complaints. The HD picture is fantastic, SD is so-so to bad, and DVDs are pretty good. The one thing that I would like to see improved is the manual. It could be a lot more comprehensive. I bought it because I could get it locally at a discount, and because it was a new model with several new features. I can't imagine how any similar PDP could be appreciably better.

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
"and DVDs are pretty good."

"I can't imagine how any similar PDP could be appreciably better."

It's not my intent is not to come down on your purchase, but "pretty good" not a ringing endorsement of the Samsung's DVD performance. Most people who own something like the Panny plasma rate the DVD performance closer to "amazing" or "fantastic." And HD looks great on practically any display.

I would think, or at least hope, that with some careful set-up or calibration you can squeeze some more performance out of the Samsung that will impress you more.

I saw the new Samsung 42" plasma at best buy. I was actually quite impressed. While the black levels were not as good as the nearby Panasonic, the Samsung did look punchy, vivid and detailed. The Sampo model, in comparison, had truly unacceptable black levels (to me).

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I've also heard that they will release their 5th and 6th generation panels in the future.

:)

From what I've seen and read, Samsung is definitely on the road to becoming one of the more respected players in home electronics. I made two visits each to the large CEDIA exhibits of Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, Panasonic and Samsung. I felt Samsung's products really held up well against the others. Overall, I was most impressed by Fujitsu, but there were a few sets in the Samsung exhibit that really caught my eye.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the plasma 4235. I am very pleased with my purchase a great value. I have a viewing area of 7-9 ft. a converted bedroom into a home theater.I purchased the Samsung 931 dvd player. but not sure if it was a good choice for plasma. my old denon 1600 seems to produce a smoother picture. The 931 is alot better with DLP TV,s

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I said DVDs are pretty good, I meant that although they look much better than on my old 31" Panasonic, they kind of pale next to HD (as does everything else, I agree). I have no regrets about my purchase, and I especially like the two year in home warranty that comes with the set.

I think one of the problems with any HD set is that once you've seen HD, you can't really rave about any other source.

As a long time lurker on this forum, I have noticed that some people tend to put blinders on when they discuss what they have purchased. They tend to take on a mentality of the "emperor's new clothes" with respect to what they are seeing (or not seeing). Everything is great, or the best, or better than any other brand. I was trying to be realistic in my assessment. Anyone contemplating the purchase of one of the new Samsung PDPs should be objective and use their own judgment, and not be swayed by the glut of opinions here that some other brand is so much superior that one would be an idiot to think of buying one of the "lesser" brands.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,

I've own the Panasonic DLP but it quit after owning it for 3 months and Panny refunded me the cash. That was back in June. I saw the HPN5039 at Sears and Best Buy. Slightly more pixelated on SD than the Panny 42px20u but color was just as good. Very close to the new Panny on DVD. As expected, HD was excellent. I did compare the HD picture to the Pioneer 5030 and the blacks where better on the Samsung. Sears was willing to match an another online retailer price plus 10% difference (around $54something) with 1 year same as cash and 2 month customer satisfaction guarantee. Is it worth it? :confused:

I'm sure you'll all say wait for the 50PX20U but the 1yr same as cash is a make or break deal for me.

·
Registered
798 Posts
That is a great price for this unit..If you liked the picture and asthetics why wait?? You also get a two year warranty with the Sammy.....something to consider!!

Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.