Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been scouring the net for an Onkyo forum that is active with members who own the 989. Unfortunately it seems that any forum regarding this model seems to be rather latent. Are there any of you out there who have this receiver? What do you guys think of it? Did any of you at one time own an Onkyo 989 and then switch to something else? If so why? Just curios to know why it seems so few have this receiver.

As far as I am concerned. This receiver has slightly better handling of the Bass frequencies than my old Denon 4800 and also has more options/component inputs. I really like the sound of this receiver and have been very happy thus far.

Thanks,

A.F.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have the Integra 9.1U2, which is basically the same receiver as the Onkyo. For my 20x15x7 theater, I honestly cannot imagine wanting more power than this can put out. It's very clean and full sounding. The DAC's and processing are top notch.

One major reason I got it was that the local dealer had the pre-upgrade special price and the sales guy unwittingly threw in the $500 upgrade for free.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Atomic Flip, I also have the 989 (purchased 2 years ago from One Call and upgraded to version 2). I am very happy with it, it is powerful and flexible, I use it for home theater (50-50 music/video). I'm thinking of getting an amplifier (5-7 channel Sunfire or Sherbourn) to see if that might give some extra resolution, I don't need much more power than the 989 provides. I am also anxiously waiting for the Denon 5900 universal player to come out (and some early adoptor reviews) to see if that will be a worthwhile upgrade to my current player. You might check out the Flagship Receiver and Amplifier Central site (if you haven't already) to get some more opinions/news.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I bought one about 2 years ago(I think it was Dec 2001). I have a large room(7000 cu ft. +) and on certain material(the most reproducable was the Dolby Dig. train trailer) at Ref. level, it used to trigger the protection and shut down. I bought a Cinepro 3K6III amp and no more problems. As far as the receiver itself, I am very happy with it and do not have the urge to upgrade.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was planning on purchasing separates to replace my Onkyo 919. But OneCall had a great deal on the 989 ver.2 I don't regret my purchase. It's hardware and software upgradeable! So far no problems and and it does everything I ask!

Arnold

·
Registered
234 Posts
We have the Integra DTR9.1U2 and, for the most part, have been happy with it. However, with a seven channel, two subwoofer set-up, some soundtracks cannot be played at reference level, or the receiver shuts down. Although we have been happy with this overall, we are upgrading to separates next month (Sunfire TGIII and Cinema Seven Signature Amp). If you are looking for a top-of-the-line receiver, this one is tough to beat. For our situation, we simply need more power than this can provide. For both music and movie soundtracks, this sounds sweet.

·
Registered
832 Posts
For those listening at "reference" level: How large of a room do you have? My room is 20x15x7, and I think prolonged reference level listening would literally blow my mind before shutting down the receiver.

Eric.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow.. thanks for all of the replies! :)

As far as power is concerned.. I have not experienced my 989 going into protection mode. I hope it does not happen... in relation to this, you may find this odd but in my room I find listening at "reference" level (i.e. the 82 mark which is label "ref" on the receiver's display) to be too loud for most dolby digital tracks... I mean I feel like it is going to bust my ears.. so I usually run mine around 65 -75 max. I do find that some Dolby stereo/surround tracks need to be played at the "ref" level to equal the amplitude I get from "ref" on dolby digital 5.1. Anyway I am not sure why this is but that is how I have been doing it so far.

I am thinking of keeping my Denon 4800 to serve as a backup amp encase I run into any problems driving my system with the Onkyo alone. What do you guys think of that?

Thanks,

A.F.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.