AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting an HTPC for our home cinema build, and although I thought about a Zino HD, I've been put off by the lack of (easy to use) audio out.

So looking on Dell, would this type of thing do the job?:
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/studio-xps-8100?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&ref=dthp"]Link

I would I want to connect to (a very good projector) and obviously use to run the home theatre, so would this do the job?

It appears to have an HDMI, so I'm assuming I could run this into an Amp, right? And for sound, it appears to have an optical out, so I'm assuming I could use that too?

We are UK based and HTPC's and home cinemas in general are quite niche, so finding good advice over here is difficult, so any help is massively appreciated.

Also a little caveat - I'm mainly Mac based, so PC's are a little bit of a grey area. I have built before (about 6 -7 years ago), but I'm not confident to build my own now.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Waaaaaaay Overkill.

Look into "Acer Revo" or "Boxee Box"

You'll still need to work on where you're gonna store your media though. The 160gb hard drives that come with them will become 'useless' pretty quickly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually had the Acer recommended to me by a couple of people. Might look into it - but it doesn't have a BD drive does it?

How about this?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172706

I dont actually mind spending a fair whack, as it will be claimed back through the business so will cost 'nothing' in theory. So anything up to £600 is fair game.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
if you want to get a dell try and find a dell studio or studio slim.

near perfect prebuilt htpc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike. That top linked machine is a Dell Studio - is that what you mean?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts