AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this setup and wanted to get some opinions from you guys before I decide.

Fronts: Polk Monitor 70s

Center: Polk Cs2

Surrounds: Can't decide between Polk Fxi a 4s or Fxia 6s. Would either of these match ok with the monitors? I know they match the RTiA line but is it that big of a deal for the surrounds to match as long as the L/C/R all match? Also cant decide if I would need the FxiA6s because of the theater being open to the rest of the basement (see my build thread for pics) and don't know if either can be hung from the ceiling with a bracket.

Rear Surrounds: pair of polk in walls ( just some cheap ones)

As for the reciever either the Denon 1910 or 890. And the sub will be the eD A2-300.

So I guess mainly my questions concern the surrounds, tell me what you guys think.

·
Registered
872 Posts
For music my polk csi3 center was too bright and harsh. If you listen to music you should go listen to the tsi models at BB which are the same speakers as the monitors but with different cabinets. Take some of your own favorite music with you to listen to.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry forgot to mention its gonna be mostly movies and gaming.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
For HT use, its not as much of a big deal to match surrounding speakers to the front speakers....as long as the fronts are match, you're okay. I just checked the prices on amazon on your surrounds....they are quite expensive. I just can't see wasting that kind of money on surrounds based on your set up. I would rather dump that money towards a better subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just thought overall that the sound of the all the Polk lines this year in stores just don't "reach out". The tonality is solid but very ordinary sounding. For home theater sound, I try and get that "larger than life" sound with nice imaging/wide sense of space and air. I cannot use those terms to describe Polk. They sound 'good' but 'plain'. The cheaper line's cabinets have a little resonance but not bad. I don't have anything truly 'negative' to say about Polk in general but they aren't what I shoot for in theater sound or music sound. Someone will like them though I'm sure. They have a neutral sound and as I said, accurate tone. Though it's 2-dimensional sounding.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I wanted dipoles/bipoles for the surrounds and these seem to be the cheapest priced ones. Do you guys have any other recommendations. Would the dipoles/bipoles be effective with the room open to one side and back?

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
The Emotiva ERD-1s are a decent speaker - also for $349. If you can wait for a sale they usually may have them for $249-299. I had a pair for over a year - I sold them only because I changed out my speakers - the ERDs are a nice sounding surround bi-dipole speaker.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So do you think its ok to use bipole/dipole speakers in an open room as opposed to a room with four walls. Again, my theater is open to the rst of the basement on one side and the back

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Emotiva gives you 30 day no questions asked return audition in your own home - you're out whatever shipping charges apply both ways. Not a very high price to pay considering you could end up with surrounds you don't like and can't return when you buy from some of the local dealers.

I think dipole bipole surrounds work great in most any room but they do tend to work best when the sound can bounce off a side or back wall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts