AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have paradigm Monitor 5's as my mains, I have a cc-370 center and a paradigm sub.

What would sound better with a Denon 3312 receiver?

7.1 surround sound with 4 adp-190's or 5.1 surround sound with 2 adp-390's?

I'm just working within a budget and trying to get the best sounding home theater for not TOO much money.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
hiya Sco,

Room dimensions? Preferred listening ? Movies % ? Music %? TV %? etc... Real budget? Any WAF issues to consider? Apartment or Single Family home? lots of factors play in, and limited info to go on...

Are you happy with what you have now? If so, it looks like your sub is the real weak spot. Get the cheaper surrounds (the adp-190's? ) to complete a 5.1 set, and put any extra $ toward a real sub from one of the Internet Direct companies, like HSU, Rythmik, SVS, or others. Better to go with a quality 5.1 set than a 'cheaper' 7.1.

Just do not cheap out on the .1 part of the equation. Way more important than the difference going to 7.1. A cheap sub will cost more when you replace it with what you should've gotten in the first place. Buy the right tool once.

Joseph

·
Registered
538 Posts
I own the 190s in a 5.1 system and they sound great. But, as far as your question, could you post room dimensions and maybe a pic. Room size and placement options may determine the better option.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1418115/what-do-you-think-would-sound-better-in-a-home-theater-room#post_22179371

hiya Sco,

Room dimensions? Preferred listening ? Movies % ? Music %? TV %? etc... Real budget? Any WAF issues to consider? Apartment or Single Family home? lots of factors play in, and limited info to go on...

Are you happy with what you have now? If so, it looks like your sub is the real weak spot. Get the cheaper surrounds (the adp-190's? ) to complete a 5.1 set, and put any extra $ toward a real sub from one of the Internet Direct companies, like HSU, Rythmik, SVS, or others. Better to go with a quality 5.1 set than a 'cheaper' 7.1.

Just do not cheap out on the .1 part of the equation. Way more important than the difference going to 7.1. A cheap sub will cost more when you replace it with what you should've gotten in the first place. Buy the right tool once.

Joseph

He didn't say which Paradigm sub he owns. Maybe it is the Sub 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok here are a few pictures of my setup (and Basset Hound)

My room is kind of narrow (11 x 21) so the couch sits on the back wall.

Just a side note I am buying a new Panasonic Plasma GT50 and I currently have the Denon 3802 (waiting for the 3312)

My sub is an older paradigm PW-2200 it literally shakes my house if a let it so I am happy with it.

My current surround are some old Paradiigm ADP 150's, they were used 10 years a go when I bought the monitors, so I'd like to upgrade them.

I was thinking in a 7.1 system to place the side surrounds in the siame location as my current surrounds and then put the rear surrounds on the back wall on either side of the couch.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
With that room layout, stick with 5.1. You really need some space behind the couch to utilize 7.1

You havn't really expressed that you're unhappy with your current speakers, just want new? I'd wait until you get the new receiver and let audyssey do its magic, and then see if you aren't happy with the sound. Your priorities may change at that point.

nice doggy

·
Premium Member
12,922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1418115/what-do-you-think-would-sound-better-in-a-home-theater-room#post_22179897

With that room layout, stick with 5.1. You really need some space behind the couch to utilize 7.1

You havn't really expressed that you're unhappy with your current speakers, just want new? I'd wait until you get the new receiver and let audyssey do its magic, and then see if you aren't happy with the sound. Your priorities may change at that point.

nice doggy

Without acknowledging his screen name, (which is, BTW, TMI!
), I will agree with the above poster's advice regarding 5.1 vs. 7.1 in your room. You don't have enough space behind the sofa to make the rear surrounds work properly. The placements of your current side surrounds is optimal. I would consider some monopole surrounds. With as much space as you have to the sides, monopoles could work better in your situation.

Craig

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john  /t/1418115/what-do-you-think-would-sound-better-in-a-home-theater-room#post_22180108

Without acknowledging his screen name, (which is, BTW, TMI!
), I will agree with the above poster's advice regarding 5.1 vs. 7.1 in your room. You don't have enough space behind the sofa to make the rear surrounds work properly. The placements of your current side surrounds is optimal. I would consider some monopole surrounds. With as much space as you have to the sides, monopoles could work better in your situation.

Craig

I agree, monopoles may be the way to go. I am no expert, but my understanding is that dipoles are supposed to better simulate a movie theater where they have a bunch of monopoles along the sides of the theater far from your ear. In a theater you can't localize the sides because of the number and distance. Usually at home the surrounds are very close to your ear. Since your sides are pretty far away, using dipole might cause you to not get the full effect. I believe that there are some surround speakers that allow you to switch modes. PSB has some surrounds like that. Maybe doing some research on configurable surround speakers might lead you to one that allows you to choose monople vs. dipole/bipole. Then you could experiment and pick which mode sounds better.

·
Registered
538 Posts
One other thing. It seems like the center speaker is tilted up b/c of the slope on top of the TV. I would put a wedge of something under it and aim it down at your ear level when you are seated. This might help improve the clarity of the dialog during movies.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Check out these surround speakers by Energy. It seems like there are two similar models, the VS surround and the RC-R. I think maybe the RC-R is an older model.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-RC-R-Surround-Speaker-Black/dp/B001C3II1C

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542021944/energy-vs-surround-speaker?s_c=site_search

http://www.hometheater.com/content/energy-reference-connoisseur-rc-70-speaker-system

http://www.energy-speakers.com/surround-speakers/?sku=V-S

It seems like you can choose dipole, bipole, or lower the volume on the side midrange drivers to create a monopole type speaker. they are also on sale right now on Vanns.com

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1418115/what-do-you-think-would-sound-better-in-a-home-theater-room#post_22180409

um... what's the matter with 'wall hung dude" ?

can be misinterpreted as "well hung dude" which is TMI

1 - 14 of 14 Posts