AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·








I have a question regarding the current sound setup in my basement. I have a pioneer VSX-1016 TXV-k receiver, and a JBL Powerbase 10 subwoofer. The room size is 15' wide by 20' deep.


If you guys think, I could probably get a new subwoofer. I want to go for the best surround sound setup I can get. I have $1600 total, and would maybe even go a little higher if I had to.


About the back and SS speakers-I'm not really sure as to where to put them. But I do know that I want them on the walls.


What do you guys think would be the best setup for around that price? Please keep in mind that, for me, smaller is better. I've done some research and found some info on the 'Definitive Technology Mythos Center Channel Speaker', the 'Definitive Technology Mythos Six On-Wall/On-Shelf Speakers', and the 'Definitive Technology Mythos Gem Compact Bookshelf.' Would you guys recommend any of these to me? I really don't too much about this.



Thanks for all your help,


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts
Just My Opinion


But I think you can do better sound quality wise then the Def Tech Mythos. Do you have to have that look of speaker? Or would regular bookshelf speakers do?


Also I would put your bookshelf speakers on stands to get the tweeters to ear level while sitting.


For a sub I would check out

www.svsound.com

www.hsuresearch.com


But I wouldn't worry about the sub just yet until you figure out what speakers to get.


Nice HT area
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just mentioned the def speakers because that is what I herd in the store. I am willing to go with something else but just dont know what. The speakers that you see are my old setup they are cerwin vega speakers.

the new speakers I would like to mount on the outside of the plasma though.

but again just want the best sound and look for the money.

Thanks

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiesteve /forum/post/0


I just mentioned the def speakers because that is what I herd in the store. I am willing to go with something else but just dont know what. The speakers that you see are my old setup they are cerwin vega speakers.

the new speakers I would like to mount on the outside of the plasma though.

but again just want the best sound and look for the money.

Thanks

Steve

Take a look at

www.ascendacoustics.com 340's mains and 340 center chennel & 170's rears $1200

www.paradigm.com

www.svsound.com Nice system including sub for $999



Or step-up

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18561
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I will check these out. Also how do they compare to the AV123's?

I see that these have a center and front left and right speaker. they also have rear speakers as well. what about the Surround seakers?

Thanks

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
If you could bump your money up to $2099 (this is shipping included) and would not mind floorstanding speakers, then you could get this package from AV123. Now it does not include a sub, but just price this system out piece by piece. Not to mention the great look of the speakers. I would love to be able take advantage of this special, but I cannot. Happy hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiesteve /forum/post/0


Those speakers look a little big for my setup. also this setup will only have 5 speakers. Dont I need 7 for true suround sound?

Thanks

Steve

No you don't need 7 for true surround sound. Most movies are in 5.1.


7.1 only enhances your viewing experience.



"Little Big"? I think they would be awesome in your room. In-fact I would be down right jealous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I will be using this setup for tv and movies. Don't really spend much time listing to the radio or cd's.

I am looking for that awesome sound when watching tv or MOVIES!!!

as far as the speakers go I was hoping to mount them on the wall like the plasma. and for the back speakers where (or how) should I put them up?

Thanks for the help on this guys.

I just don't want to make a mistake and spend money on the wrong thing.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiesteve /forum/post/0


Well I will be using this setup for tv and movies. Don't really spend much time listing to the radio or cd's.

I am looking for that awesome sound when watching tv or MOVIES!!!

as far as the speakers go I was hoping to mount them on the wall like the plasma. and for the back speakers where (or how) should I put them up?

Thanks for the help on this guys.

I just don't want to make a mistake and spend money on the wrong thing.

Steve

All of the recommendation from the speakers, to the sub companies. You will not make a mistake, and spend money on the wrong thing.


I'm not a fan of plasma type speakers. I feel you will obtain better performance with conventional speakers (bookshelf, or floorstanders). But it's your cash, so you need to take the information here and make your own conclusions.

www.standsandmounts.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't like the plasma speakers either. I just wanted to put them on the wall next to the plasma. Thats all. BUT I am looking at all options. At least those speakers match .

Mazersteven I am grateful for all your help.

I just want this space to look nice and sound GREAT! I have worked on my basement a long time and just want to be HAPPY
.

So again thanks

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I recommend Paradigm. 4 v5 mini monitors and cc-290= $1100 tax included. this leaves you 500 for an excellent sub from HSU or SVS. good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiesteve /forum/post/0


I don't like the plasma speakers either. I just wanted to put them on the wall next to the plasma. Thats all. BUT I am looking at all options. At least those speakers match .

Mazersteven I am grateful for all your help.

I just want this space to look nice and sound GREAT! I have worked on my basement a long time and just want to be HAPPY
.

So again thanks

Steve

Don't forget. Most if not all of these companies have return policies.


All I want to see is the picture you take after you have a good system with the big smile on your face. LOL



This Hobby is Great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiesteve /forum/post/0


:d :d :d

Well what did you decide?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiesteve /forum/post/0


Still deciding!!!

I still think I want the 7 speakers. but dont know how I would install them.

Steve

It will be hard for proper placement of the 4 surrounds. That opening hurts and the stairway.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I was afraid of that. You can see in that pic that I have my old speakers just temped in.

I am so stuck I am going crazy!!!


I would rather not spend that 2099 on the av123 unless I noticed a HUGE difference on sound!

Steve
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top