AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Important question for me since I am almost ready to have both mine in service when I get the bigger one bought and in my possession. Is it safe to say you may/may not need something on the extreme end for a < $1000 set where you would for a > $2000 set? The installers I talked to are into the Monster Power products. Just curious what is best to go with without spending unnecessarily.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I personally use this one
http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...heater%20Power

Though they make power strips if you need more outlets. Monster, APC, and Belkin are all good brands to buy from in terms of power surge protection. You could find a decent one from $30-50 and you should be set.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the +2000 I just laid out for the Samsung I want something good on there. I know dirty power can play on the light source and more than likely your picture. I don't want a surge to take me out and want some conditioning to help with the picture.

On the Polaroid I bought today it was

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I would get a bunch of responses to this. Do we have a lot of people using nothing??

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use a combination of a Brick Wall Surge Protector and an APC SmartUPS 1500 for all of my A/V equipment including a Westy LVM-47W1, Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray player, Sony A/V receiver, DirecTV H20 and HR20, and an Infinity 250W subwoofer. With all of this stuff plugged in to the 1500 and turned on it is at about 25% load which gives me at least 40 minutes of battery time.

The advantage of the SmartUPS series is that they provide a true sine wave output as opposed to the square wave output on cheaper models, and they have built in voltage regulation.

The Brick Wall is a killer surge protector that does not use the MOV's found in pretty much all others which degrade over time providing less and less protection.

Here's the URL for anyone interested:

http://brickwall.thomasnet.com/

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastsider /forum/post/0

I use a combination of a Brick Wall Surge Protector and an APC SmartUPS 1500 for all ...

UPS (APCs and others) on everything important that does not like brown outs. (I lose power 5 to 15 times per year. I've even had 2 light bulbs blown by a surge.)

Bricks for everything else.

NO Monsters. As an engineer, I go for top spec, not top dollar.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Am I wrong to assume you guys aren't wall mounted? I would like to see pictures of where you placed the boxes.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooler2 /forum/post/0

Am I wrong to assume you guys aren't wall mounted? I would like to see pictures of where you placed the boxes.

Sure, we are wall-mounted. See my post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post10587200 . The MIW modules I use simply pass the AC from one outlet to the other and I keep the big APC S-15 in the main rack to feed it.

I use an MIW unit similar to this: http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?...il&id=261&ly=h except that it has 3 bays for signal connections.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Intercooler2 said:
Am I wrong to assume you guys aren't wall mounted?

Right now I am going all natural, straight from the source. I am doing so because I returned my Monster AVS2000 b/c of extreme buzzing noise....So I returned it to Monster they gave me a new one, and sold it.

many companies put the fear of God in us
,I am not saying it's safe in certain occasion & locations ,but how did our parents would hook an entire army of electronics without a hiccup?

In the mean time I am reading, educating myself on what are the best options out there.

So here to us guys going bare back

Djoel

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got this guy: Monster PowerCenter AV 800

Whatever you buy, make sure it has input/output for your coaxial cable. In terms of power protection, if one line is unprotected your whole system is unprotected.

And if you want any manufacturer to honor their surge protection guarantee in case one of your system components is fried, make sure you keep your surge protector receipt!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finding some wood to knock on...

I have lived in this same house for 16 years and never lost one piece of electronic equipment due to lightning, etc... But I also didn't pay $2300 for my last Toshiba tube TV so I think I will at least get something for surge plus a lower level line conditioning. Nothing crazy! For my $500 26" flat upstairs I think just a surge protecter is going on it. Wonder is something can be bought cheaply enough to look at your power to see how clean it is?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought a Belkin PureAV surge protection for 30$ special price not so long time ago for my Panasonic.

It's not an line conditioning and I'm also wondering if it worth to have a line conditioning or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.