AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When adjusting the focus on a projector, what do you guys use to get it the sharpest? I have DVE and Avia...are there test patterns on either of those? Is it better to use an actual picture from a good looking Blu-ray? If so, would you go for a big closeup of a face, or something like a distance shot of a landscape? Any specific scenes to recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The best thing to use is the projector's own menu. If the menu is sharp and clear then your image will be as clear as it can get. Sometimes, I'll even use the "Screen Door Grid".

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Pixel phase test pattern, cross hatch, pixel mapped text, etc. and then a good pair of low power binoculars

But only if you are OC of course

Jason

·
Registered
607 Posts
I always use the internal menu as well. I make the text as sharp as I can then I double check with the PS3 Xcross Media bar icons. Always gets me as sharp as possible.

·
Registered
935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/18280824

Pixel phase test pattern, cross hatch, pixel mapped text, etc. and then a good pair of low power binoculars

But only if you are OC of course

Jason

And when it comes to picture quality, Jason is OC.

I personally just use the projector's menu system.

Jim

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yeh, menu and binoculers

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like the internal menu it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher /forum/post/18282042

I always use the internal menu as well. I make the text as sharp as I can then I double check with the PS3 Xcross Media bar icons. Always gets me as sharp as possible.

Small world Randy...I grew up in Whitehall, PA...go Zephyrs.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I've always used the menu, mine is in a corner of the screen and there can be slight focus differences across the screen. Lately I've been using the menu in the corner overlay-ed on top of this image that has text all over the screen. It's at the beginning of every BD or DVD and provides nice large text that's easier to focus than the small text in the menu (projector is 12' 6" from screen)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...Bs_vlAfKw_z0DA

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre /forum/post/18285925

I've always used the menu, mine is in a corner of the screen and there can be slight focus differences across the screen. Lately I've been using the menu in the corner overlay-ed on top of this image that has text all over the screen. It's at the beginning of every BD or DVD and provides nice large text that's easier to focus than the small text in the menu (projector is 12' 6" from screen)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...Bs_vlAfKw_z0DA

You know what, that is a good point. My projector is 17' from my screen, and when I am standing back there trying to focus, my projector menu is a little small to see. I might do better with something that covers the screen.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Yeah the text is large and it covers a lot of the screen. You can just pause the player and see if the entire image is focused, not just a small menu in a particular part of the screen. With the projector a good distance away I need something large that covers most of the screen to make sure it's focused everywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts