AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was posted earlier, but the thread sort of went off into the weeds. I am going to mod my Xbox with the Matrix chip in a week or two, was wondering about what everyone uses their modded systems for. Here's what I was thinking about doing so far:

* Progressive Scan DVD (upconvert to 720p/1080i?)

* Media server for Divx, avi, mpg, quicktime files

* Burn games to the HDD (games I own!)

* MAME

What else can you do with a modded Xbox?

·
Registered
669 Posts
i dont think its possible to upconvert to 720p or 1080i, but i do believe that there is a patch to make the ms dash (which is where the ms dvd player) progressive (480p). if the xbox could up convert to 720/1080 that would be killer, but its not there yet, nor do i think anyone is working on it.

also, you may want to reconsider the matrix chip, and get an executer 2 lite or pro, i have the pro, and its a great chip. I've heard a lot about the pogo pins not lining up properly etc... with the matrix.

·
Registered
669 Posts
for up converted dvd's you may want to check out the latest generation of dvd players with dvi out, i've heard many of them do 720p 1080i flawlessly through dvi.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zot23
This was posted earlier, but the thread sort of went off into the weeds. I am going to mod my Xbox with the Matrix chip in a week or two, was wondering about what everyone uses their modded systems for. Here's what I was thinking about doing so far:

* Progressive Scan DVD (upconvert to 720p/1080i?)

* Media server for Divx, avi, mpg, quicktime files

* Burn games to the HDD (games I own!)

* MAME

What else can you do with a modded Xbox?
Yup, that about covers it. Don't forget about the mp3s and streaming audio off the internet. :cool:

I haven't messed around with the progressive dvd player patch yet, as my TV is interlaced only. I need to get a bigger hard drive, so I can put all my games and media on there.

I'd recommend the xecuter2 also. I've got the lite version, flashed it with the latest BIOS yesterday using evolution x, it was a piece of cake. Only need the pro version if your BIOS somehow gets messed up. But now they have an external flash cable for the lite, too. I got mine from www.modchipman.com, cheapest price I found, and it was delivered quickly.

Matt

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I'm pretty locked in to the Matrix right now. I've ordered one online and have an engineer friend at work who already has his Xbox Matrix-ed. So I'm just bringing in my box to the lab and he's going to install it, flash the BIOS, etc, etc.

Also going to slap an 80 GB drive in there that I found through Staples for $30. Can't beat that, excited to see how it all turns out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am in Europe and have an early Enigmah mod.

The reasons:

- European Xbox doesn't support 480p or better resolutions, only interlaced PAL. Through the Video select software I can enable progressive scan on all Xbox games (including PAL games). Looks much metter on my 720p native projector.

- To play import games. It's not uncommon for games in Europe to appear up to 6 months later than in the US or Japan. And since the Euro has increased in value over the US$, it means that if you import clever you can save about 20% too!

- MAME. It works great and it's a much better experience than running it on the PC IMHO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got the Matrix modchip and had no problem with anything lining up or programing it. It only took me about 15 minutes to mod 2 consoles with these and they are both working fine even with all the rough handling I put them through.

·
Registered
58 Posts
does anyone know of a great website that gives excellent instructions on how to mod your Xbox with either the Matrix or xecuter2 and then setup Evolution X?

·
Registered
777 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.