AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been approached by a good friend who has a networking company. He does data wiring for small offices and school renovations. He also has been doing some structured wiring systems for some local builders so the home owner has more choose from than the electrician or security guy has to offer. He has approached me since I am a Home theater hobbist/advisor. I have helped numerous people select and put together systems in the past, however, I do not sell product, so I directed them to Authorized sources

Here is the deal, my friend would like to become an Authorized reseller for some of the products he installs, ie AV receivers, AV distribution units (Niles, Russound, etc.), RPTVs and Plasma TVs.

Basically I want to see what you guys, the type of people he would be selling and installing for, would like to have offered to them. He does not want to carry a huge product line, maybe a few options at each price point.

What would you guys suggest (my suggestion in parenthesis):

Plamsa TV(Fujitsu, Pioneer and Elite and maybe something in the Sampo price range)

RPTV (Toshiba, Pioneer, Samsung)

Front Projectors??? (Not sure if we should extend this far)

Receiver (Pioneer, HK, Denon)

Audio and Audio/Video distribution units (Niles, Xantech, Russound, B&K)

In-wall/In-ceiling speakers (Def. Tech, Niles)

I listed Pioneer in a few because if he is an Authorized Dealer for the Plasma, he might as well offer the other products.

I was thinking that if he carried as little of 3 brands of each item he would increase his business greatly.

I cross-posted this in a couple other forums to get broad coverage.

Thanks for the advice,

J-dubb

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
16 views and none of you care what you supplier would have. So essential people complain about not having any choices from the home builder and further complain that they cannot bring their own person in to do the work, but when given the opportunity to advise on good equipment/wiring choices, won't speak thier mind. I guess it is so you will always have a reason to complain.

I thought this Site would be more helpful than this. I have posted it in 5 different forums to reach a broad range of people and I have 45 views total and not one comment.

Sorry for the rant, I was just trying to provide a better service that I THOUGHT people wanted.

J-dubb

·
Registered
12 Posts
seems to me as though you are the one who is quick to criticize, 45 views is actually pretty low for 5 posts, not everybody has a life which revolves around viewing and instantly responding to posts on AVS. (as wonderful as it is) I had planned on responding when the time was available, be patient.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only problem is unless I continue to bump it to the top, the thread will be on the 2nd page vey quickly.

Sorry to be critical

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 2 cents...

I think it's probably a mistake to try to do so many different product lines out of the box. I'd build towards scenario's - $15K Plasma home theatre, $30K large RPTV, etc. and try to slot components for each. For example, one could build everything around Pioneer (or Denon) recievers - they cover the line. If one does carry multiple lines, it should support the whole theme of the system (i.e. best plasma based home theatre under $10K wouldn't include an Elite screen....)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what I was going to try to do once I got the feed back. I know we will probably carry Pioneer and therefore could offer several RPTV, Plasmas and receivers. However, I don't think there are many other companies that offer such a versitile line of quality products. Toshiba has a great RPTV, but thier flat panel displays are not the greatest and they lack the receiver. I figured I would end up supporting 6 to 8 products to hopefully cover the requirement of the customers.

J-dubb

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I would suggest finding a good rep or specialty distributor to work with rather then spend eons trying to haphazardly secure a bunch of lines with no sales track record to make your case with.

The rep can also talk to you about your business plan, local competition etc...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I was not making myself clear. My friend is a distributor/installer. He carries several product lines like Leviton, OnQ, etc. Line that are typicqal to Data networking. However, we would like to branch into being a distributor/installer for other products like Plasma and receivers instead of losing those sales to the local AV stores who overprice and under deliver in our area, unless you are dropping 50K, then they treat you like a king. We have thought out what we want to do and several recent home buyers said they would have liked they way we want to do thing. we have already contacted Pioneer because that one was a given because of the broad coverage it would afford us with one Manurfacturer.

Does anyone actually have suggestions about the product lines. Every comment so far has been to change our way of thinking.

Thanks

j-dubb

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Buzz gave you the correct advice and has a very long track record in the industry. As far as what product lines you should carry, do you really think that's something you determine by asking a bunch of guys on an Internet forum? The product lines your friend should carry are based on a number of variables:

1. The geographic market he is in/serving. Is he regularly dealing with customers that can buy Crestron/AMX type systems or is he serving a market where 5K is often the toal system price.

2. How well established is he? The better lines often require higher annual commitments as well as an established track record in business.

3. What do his competitors sell? What has brand recognition in his market?

3. Most importantly, what products does HE believe in and want to support. He should know his market.

If he is starting out the buying through a distributor is a good option because it means no annual commitments, no stocking requirements and access to a wide variety of equipment. He will not have to tie up huge amounts of cash to gain access to lines and also won't have the expenses of a direct dealer. Your friend is not going to be able to become a direct dealer for most of the lines you mentioned. They require SIGNIFICANT investments to obtain and the companies aren't even going to talk with you unless you've been in business for several years.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J-dubb16
I guess I was not making myself clear. My friend is a distributor/installer. He carries several product lines like Leviton, OnQ, etc.

Does anyone actually have suggestions about the product lines. Every comment so far has been to change our way of thinking.

Thanks

j-dubb

Maybe you should therefore consider changing your line of thinking.:D

When I suggested you go to a rep or true distributor, I am pointing you in a direction that is pretty much THE path to getting where you are thinking of going. This is how this industry works.

There are a lot of people who can help you get your business started and will have a vested interest in seeing you achieve financial/commercial success. Asking for opinions from some hobbyists here will give you a wish list from a bunch of DIY'ers who are not going to be representative of your future customer base unless you go in a completely different different direction then you're indicating.

IOW, what people here want is not representative of a market sector you can easily serve. We're all Bozo's on this bus:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.