AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last gen brought us 3rd and 1st person shooters and big jump in graphics to name a few things. What does every one want to see come out of this gen games?

A few thoughts of my own:

More uses of motion control: I know some people would rather stick with the standard controls but to me the tilt functions make some tired out games seem new. RR7 would just be another RR if it wasn't for tilt control.

Time to retire the FPS: Maybe not entirely but seems every other game is another FPS(or a 3rd person with the same control scheme). First Person works in a lot of different settings but I would like to see something new this Gen. Same could be said for sports and racing games... so far they're the same as last gen with a new coat of paint.

More online only games: Broadband is pretty much out there now so I'd like to see some games that bring a deep online game. I step above deathmatch and CTF. Lets have some games focused on online and on the other side single player games focus on single player and leave off the tacked on online functions.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Definitely more motion control. The idea of being able to snap someone's neck in MGS4 with a quick swing of the controller sounds too cool.

I'd like to see better structure and more variation in gameplay and setting this gen. Gameplay variation is so important. For example, Splinter Cell 1 was a great game BUT the whole game was just sneaking around in the dark and stashing bodies. Games like Resident Evil 4 where every level feels fresh and exciting do the setting/gameplay variation thing very well. Also, I'm a big fan of pressing buttons in a correct sequence to pull off a move. Example: Marvel Ultimate Alliance and God of War. Deep controls are a must this gen. So are more upgradeable weapons. Every character should have a number of available moves just like in fighting games.

I agree with the OP about FPS. We need far less FPS games. I'm a fan of 3rd person action games and over-the-shoulder shooters, though. There should always be an option with FPS games to toggle 1st/3rd person view.

Games should all have RPG elements. For the record, I HATE standard RPG's but I admit there is some value there that can be applied to pretty much any game. The X-Men Legends games are great action/RPGs. I hope all characters have upgradable stats, moves, weapons etc.

Variety of camera. I loved the way the camera works in the Gamecube remake of RE. Very cinematic and added tension. I'm also a big fan of 'smart cameras' that follow your player through the game, but most of them need alot of work. God of War, for the most part, has great camera that is a combo of follow/smart/cinematic.

Graphics. I am pleased with the graphics I've seen so far this gen but I'm not being completely blown away when, IMO, I should be. If a game needs to be made 720p instead of 1080p to make the graphics look prettier, I'm all for it. If the PS3 can't handle stunning graphics in 1080p, then they should save 1080p for next-gen. I've got no problem with 720p as long as it looks great.

Easier games. I was happy to see in the Ninja Gaiden Sigma interview there will be a Ninja Dog mode. and supposedly DMC4 will be much easier than previous DMC games. Not every gamer is a hardcore gamer. I love video games but I'm not very good at them (I was a level 15 on Halo 2 single player) IMO, every game should give difficulty options ranging from easy to hardcore.

More cheat codes. Let's follow Nintendo's lead and take things back to the good old days of the NES where basically every game had a cheat code. Up, up, down, down... you love it.

That's about it. Oh, and better voice acting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Um, improved collision. The graphics are fine, there shouldn't still be collision issues like I saw from time to time on NBA 2k7.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
More destructable enviroments in FPS. At 720P games look just great, I hope to see more processing power spent on making the 3D worlds a little more "real". I do not need R:FoM2 with 1080P or motion controls, I need it with some real immersion.

If I have 20 enemies infront of me and I am low on ammo I want to be able to blow a hole in the wall next to me and get away from them.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone /forum/post/0

If I have 20 enemies infront of me and I am low on ammo I want to be able to blow a hole in the wall next to me and get away from them.

That is something that I have been yearning to do.

I would have adaptive AI. I would like to play from stage to stage where the AI can figure out ways to counter what I am doing to win. Make enemies change weapons depending on what I am using or how close I am ( I like this idea). Don't make them just stand there. Remember Killer Instinct. I couldn't do the same combos over and over. Also, add the ability to have enemies learn from how you have played the game after you ended it. If I play it again, then I would like to be force to use a different strategy. I'm not too good at saying what I would like to say but I hope I'm getting my point across. I think this alone would add the ability to replay a game. And make the difficulty change how fast they learn or adapt to your playing style. Therefore, it would be a challenge for anyone playing the game. With that said, add bots to multiplayer with that ability because not everyone has the capability to play online.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I want from the PS3 what I get from my PC. Peripherals that work and are supported (force feedback wheels for one, flight sticks, etc), and games that use a keyboard and mouse (having seperate control schemes enabled when m/kb are present).

And finally, I'd like to see more traditional PC games implemented with the PS3, and unaltered from their PC version. Games like Civilization, Never Winter Nights, World at War, various flight and racing sims. It's time to realize that the average gamer is 33 yrs old, and it's not all about Sonic and Mario anymore. Plus I think we're selling our youth short with a lack of mature gaming. I played Civ 1 when I was 12 and I loved it and was pretty good at it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In addition to the above games-centered comments, I want to have the PS3 be a complete media center. Think of the combination of the following functions:

* XBox Media Center (aka XBMC ) -like media/codec support with ability to show media in SD, upconverted-HD, or native-HD resolutions

* IR-based remote control

* Plug-in based architecture that would allow the future enhancements such as:

o Media streaming (like Shoutcast)

o P2P clients that can run in the background (for movies, tv shows, trailers, etc.)

o IPTV

o TiVo-like DVR (including cable-card support and set-top box control)
If the above appeared in the PS3 in the XMB (or in another easy-to-use UI), the entertainment industry would be forever changed.

When you combine the game-centered suggestions with these media-centered ones, the PS3 would be the ideal all-in-one entertainment center.

-KLH

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/0

A few good games, anything.

agreed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone /forum/post/0

More destructable enviroments in FPS. At 720P games look just great, I hope to see more processing power spent on making the 3D worlds a little more "real". I do not need R:FoM2 with 1080P or motion controls, I need it with some real immersion.

I'd love to see more along these lines as well. I always shake my head when I read some article about how a game realistically models a characters cape or hair. Would love to see that effort put into the game environment. A game that uses a realistic physics model for cover could really be fun.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Yeah, I want better frame rates. It's ridiculous that NFL2K on the Dreamcast in 1999 ran at 60fps, but here in 2007 there are sports and racing games that don't run at 60fps. If they can't do it at 1080p, I would gladly take 720p with a faster framerate. I'd rather they cut back on effects and polygons if needed to achieve 60fps.

Also along these lines, I wish they would give us some options to turn things like effects on and off like in PC games. Then, you could get your ideal detail/framerate balance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.