AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says all this stuff but im not even sure what it is or what benifit it is for me.


Like SRS true surround XT? what is that? Is it a simulated surround sound using the stock tv speakers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16967334


It says all this stuff but im not even sure what it is or what benifit it is for me.


Like SRS true surround XT? what is that? Is it a simulated surround sound using the stock tv speakers?

You pretty much answered your own question. The SRS technology and other sound schemes helps TV speakers sound better and give them a little more depth.


The 1080p one means the tv resolution is 1920x1080.


The energy star one means it means one of the energy star standards.


The Dolby Digital one just means it outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 for OTA broadcasts, most likely with an optical port.


The HDMI means it has HDMI inputs.


The HDTV one is pretty much self explanatory.


Don't worry too much about all those logos on your TV. Just enjoy your TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazykevy /forum/post/16967479


The Dolby Digital one just means it outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 for OTA broadcasts, most likely with an optical port.


How? is there a setting i need to turn on my tv to do this? I really want to do this but i cant seem to get it to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16968125


How? is there a setting i need to turn on my tv to do this? I really want to do this but i cant seem to get it to work.

U are badly in need of an in-house geek.


U don't turn it on, u simply hookup the TV optical output to an audio receiver that has an optical in, then set your receiver to play 5.1 and BAM! *IF* a 5.1 signal is broadcast from whatever source yer getting your program from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16968125


How? is there a setting i need to turn on my tv to do this? I really want to do this but i cant seem to get it to work.

Generally you don't have to do anything. Just get an optical audio cable and connect the optical out on the TV to an optical input on your receiver. Then just set it the right input on the receiver.


On some TVs there may be an option for sending either dolby digital or PCM audio with the optical port. If so you have to select the Dolby Digital option if you want 5.1 sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16968125


How? is there a setting i need to turn on my tv to do this? I really want to do this but i cant seem to get it to work.

what set do you have?


all manufacturers supply manuals,hard copies and online downloadable pdf's that are searchable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a VIzio VO32LF ive hooked my DVD player and digital cable box to the tv using HDMI and im sure its sending the 5.1 because ive hooked the coax out to the receiver and i get 3/2/1 on the display so i know its sending a 5.1 threw the cable box.


Same with the DVD player, when i connect the receiver to the tv using the optical out on the back of the tv to the receiver i get "PCM" audio wich is only a stereo sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16968175


U are badly in need of an in-house geek.


U don't turn it on, u simply hookup the TV optical output to an audio receiver that has an optical in, then set your receiver to play 5.1 and BAM! *IF* a 5.1 signal is broadcast from whatever source yer getting your program from.


MrBobb you make it sound so easy, hook it up and bam! its all good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16972007


For us geeks, it's child's play.



The good news is, it probly wont require any further expense, it's all twisting the right buttons.

Well no matter what i do i cant get the 5.1 to pass threw the tv, all i get is 2 channel surround or 3 channel what ever it is. Its just the standard prologic surround with the mono rear and no LFE channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/17030239


Well no matter what i do i cant get the 5.1 to pass threw the tv, all i get is 2 channel surround or 3 channel what ever it is. Its just the standard prologic surround with the mono rear and no LFE channel.

In general, TVs will only output 5.1 Dolby Digital from programming received by their internal tuner. Only 2 channel PCM is output when the source is any external source, including HDMI.



To get 5.1 from an external source such as cable or satellite tuner or a DVD or BD player, you have two ways to achieve this:
  1. Connect the HDMI output of the source to the AV receiver, then the HDMI out of the receiver to the TV.

    Source[HDMI] > Receiver[HDMI] > TV

  2. Connect the HDMI from the source directly to the TV (as you have now) and then also connect a separate optical or coaxial digital audio connection between the source and the receiver.

    Source[HDMI] > TV plus... Source[Optical/Coax] > Receiver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria /forum/post/17030354


In general, TVs will only output 5.1 Dolby Digital from programming received by their internal tuner. Only 2 channel PCM is output when the source is any external source, including HDMI.



To get 5.1 from an external source such as cable or satellite tuner or a DVD or BD player, you have two ways to achieve this:
  1. Connect the HDMI output of the source to the AV receiver, then the HDMI out of the receiver to the TV.

    Source[HDMI] > Receiver[HDMI] > TV

  2. Connect the HDMI from the source directly to the TV (as you have now) and then also connect a separate optical or coaxial digital audio connection between the source and the receiver.

    Source[HDMI] > TV plus... Source[Optical/Coax] > Receiver

Yeah ive tried it a bunch of different ways with not much luck. When i plug my cable box to the tv using the HDMI the box wants to default to the HDMI audio so there is no way to strip the 5.1 from that connection. The tv converts the HDMI input to stereo or prologic 1 or somthing. WHat ever its doing i dont get 5.1 out of the tv. All i get is the better picture.


My receiver only has 2 digital inputs, optical or rca coax. If i want to run a dvd i have to either switch the plugs around or run optical from one source and coax from the other.


I even tried one of those units that strips the audio from the HDMI and then seperates it into an optical or coax output but that didnt seem to work either.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top