AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a simple question but I don't see the answer anywhere...Does it just pass it through (like I think it should)? Or does it choke?

My issue is if I have an input that can be *either* progressive or interlaced. One way that I would like to wire my setup has an a/v switcher in front of the NRS. Some of the time the component will be interlaced and some of the time it will be progressive.

Another case might be something like the XBox. I still am unclear whether *all* games will have to support 480p or whether it is optional...

Having a limited number of inputs on the projector I would like to consolidate via the switcher and then run the NRS to the projector -- but this doesn't work if the NRS freaks rather than simply passing it through...

-Jon

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i'm pretty sure you could feed the progressive as YUV component material through the vga/HD bypass and it would be output as an unchanged rgb signal, just like HD, but only 480p. if you use the switcher backwards, inputting one feed and outputting two, you could send the progessive to the vga nd the interlaced to the standard component input.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use the switcher backwards? I am talking about an A/V receiver which has a single component output which I would like to pass to the NRS. I can't pass it two different ways depending upon signal type...

-Jon

·
Registered
111 Posts
mittelhauser,

The answer to your question is you *can't* feed a 480p signal to the NRS as it just won't recognise it (at least mine doesn't).

I've got a Panny RP-56 DVD player and I can switch between the two - the NRS just doesn't sync up to a 480p signal and you get garbage out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arg. Thanks. The answer that I was expecting but I figured I would ask just to make sure...

Maybe I don't understand the technology enough. Can't see why it would be difficult to simply pass through a signal it can't deal with...

-Jon

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
since you have to feed the progessive-to-be-bypassed signal and the interlaced signal into two different inputs on the nr, my suggestion was to use an external switcher to split out the feeds when changing from progressive to interlaced. If your dvd player had different outputs for progressive and interlaced (some will output interlaced only over s-video and component for either), you could split the feeds that way.

the bypass circuit in the nr is a simple hardwired in to out, with the only twist being transcoding from component to rgb for a high def feed. I never tried the bypass using 480p.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.