Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

as stated in the subject line i would like to know what changes are actually made when the speaker size is changed from "LARGE" to "SMALL". it seems to me to change the crossover point at which the bass is rolled of to subwoofer instead of main speaker pair. what about the surround and center?? are there crossovers for these too?? do these settings have affect in digital modes, or just analog modes?? are the settings the same for all recivers, or do they change with brands/models. i cant seem to tell a difference when changing the center/surround speakers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Try this link:
http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/...icle=processor

Also, you may not immediately notice a difference in center and surround unless you are specifically listening for (and aren't hearing) those freqs. I would think the AVIA freq sweeps could help you hear the difference between large and small in your system.

·
Registered
469 Posts
These are setting changes for the bass management system. All LFE or bass management are not equal (depends on the brand of Reciever you have). If you are using a subwoofer for the front channels, select small for the front speakers. The same is available for the center and Surround Speakers. Many in the industry are recommending a sub for the Rear channels. At Cedia, I saw a center channel speaker with 2- 15" woofers! That goes to show how much bass energy can be in the center channel. Subs for the center and/or rear channels are not needed if you have a ProLogic only reciever, as there is not significant bass info there. It is only really useful if you are using a digital source such as DVD, SAtellite digital channel with DD, etc.

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
WD_Allen,

Brian Florian recently posted a very clear explanation showing why you should set all of your speakers to small and use a single high quality subwoofer for the bass frequencies. Take a look at the thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=12580

His message is about halfway down the page.

To answer your questions, though..

When a speaker channel is configured as "small", all frequencies below the crossover are redirected to the subwoofer output instead. Crossover filters are typically 6 or 12dB/octave depending on the design, so some of the lower frequencies will stll get sent to the "small" speakers. When a speaker channel is configured as "large", however, none of its low frequencies are redirected.

If you set your system for "large" front speakers and no subwoofer, the LFE channel as well as the low frequencies from all the "small" speakers are redirected to the fronts.

Some receivers and pre/pros will let you select the crossover frequency. Most have a single fixed crossover frequency, typically 80 or 100 Hz. THX certified equipment use 80Hz. Except in some very high-end digital processors like those from Meridian, the same crossover frequency and filter design is applied to all of the speaker channels.

Bass management, speaker distance corrections and volume balancing are all implemented using digital signal processors. They are applied to the digital inputs and to the stereo analog inputs. They are usually not applied to the discrete 5.1 analog inputs. Those have to be managed in the player.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have experimented many times with different configurations on the Large vs Small setup issue. "IMO" I get a much better sound effect setting all my speakers set to small and directing the LFE to 2, 15" subwoofers. This seems to yield a much cleaner and responsive listening for surround sound. On a personal note: I use my set up exclusivley for movie playback and not music.

Experiment and enjoy.

DarrenW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.