AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean when a receiver is rated at xx watts "FTC" (continuous average power)? How does it differ from the "normal" way of rating wattage?

I have an amp that is rated at 55 wats Cont. Average power. Does it mean that it is less powerful than, say, a 100 watt amp?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I believe FTC stands for Federal Trade Commission, which is a government agency tasked with regulating various aspects of trade in this country, including advertised product specifications. I don't know what it means with respect specifically to amplifer power ratings.

·
Registered
637 Posts
FTC method give a true(er) picture of what the amp can do. It was implaced to rid us of things like "music power" , "Peak Momentary Power Output" (or PMPO), EIJA rating (which is the Japanese standard I believe) and the other numerous ways that manufacturers tried to lie about the power ratings of their equipment. You can be reasonably sure that two amps of 100 wpc that were rated such by the FTC method will provide nearly equal amounts of power. This does not mean that amp "A" can't have the ability to produce more power for peaks (headroom) then amp "B"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.