AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does HDTV look better on a direct view TV or on a rear projection Tv. I was just wondering cause I have a 32" and although some things look amazing on it esp the documentaries on HDNet, would it look better on a bigger screen?

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Generally people think direct view CRTs look better, but there is some truth that "large is better". Even if the picture isn't as bright or clear, there is some "wow" factor in a bigger picture.

RPTVs are a compromise. They have to bend the optics to fit everything into a "not too deep" package.

Purists will go for a front projection system.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It also depends on the "look" you're going for. RPTVs look like movie screens, IMO, which tend to be softer than direct view. Sometimes plasma screens look like computer monitors to me. But the picture on them is amazingly sharp and from a decent distance looks like you're looking out the window.

If you want a cinematic effect, I think projection is always the way to go.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey, let's not forget FRONT projectors!!! I have an NEC HT 1000 DLP projector and HDTV looks absolutely fabulous. Anyone who has come to my house and seen it has left impressed, from videophiles to folks just barely into 17 inch color direct view sets.

I don't even use a screen (the wife acceptance factor) and project on to an eggshell white living room TEXTURED wall and the picture is still jaw dropping at about 84" on the diagonal.

No rainbows, no screen door effect, just 3000 to 1 contrast ratio!

·
Registered
903 Posts
While many people will give you what they like best the true videophile will say that at the present time you will see the best picture quality on a RPTV, followed by Plasma and then LCD. FPTV is best only if you have a light free room with no reflective surfaces, this is due to the fact that the light must travel to the screen and then bounce off and back to your eyes. If you have a dedicated room it is fantastic. The reason for leaving off direct view is due to the max screen size which will not change. When watching HD either movies or sports, you really need a 16.9 screen of over 40 inches. I'm talking about true HD, either 720p or 1080i.

Hugh

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HughScot
While many people will give you what they like best the true videophile will say that at the present time you will see the best picture quality on a RPTV, followed by Plasma and then LCD. FPTV is best only if you have a light free room with no reflective surfaces, this is due to the fact that the light must travel to the screen and then bounce off and back to your eyes. If you have a dedicated room it is fantastic. The reason for leaving off direct view is due to the max screen size which will not change. When watching HD either movies or sports, you really need a 16.9 screen of over 40 inches. I'm talking about true HD, either 720p or 1080i.

Hugh
IMO this is somewhat true, however, I have never been a fan of any display that requires convergence adjustments (RPTV and some FPTV).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
It's a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
It is a matter of personal preference but as an owner of both a 34" direct view and a 42" plasma, it is my opinion that plasma has the best picture hands down. My neighbor had a 65" Mitsu and turned it in for a 42" plasma. I have not seen a RPTV that can come close to plasma quality. IMHO.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
I used to preach that the translucent nature of the fresnel-lenticular screens in RPTVs spoiled viewing. Not so sure now. A Da-Lite tech paper describes its seemingly opaque diffusion screens, meant as fresnel-lenticular replacements or for original equipment. Seems akin to ground-glass focusing screens in cameras, except Da-Lite uses 5-micron-size white particles within a ultrathin screen layer. The microscopic particles guide light falling on the rear to the front surface, but minimize light bleeding to adjacent particles (spoiling contrast).

The pitch of the narrow ribs on a lenticular screen could limit resolution. Calculated that the 0.52-mm pitch on my 64-inch RPTV could deliver a full 1920 pixels, but suspect the electrostatically focused 9-in-CRTs don't provide beams narrow enough for anything above ~1700 pixels. Fortunately, that's about the limiting horizontal resolution of 1080i HDTV at the moment, as Greg Rogers' article/table explains.

Used a 7-foot-screen video-only FP for ~23 years, but settled on a RPTV HDTV for various reasons. So far, since July 2000, I've only tweaked user adjustments for a few minutes several times a year and images are still excellent. -- John

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
My problem with plasma, LCD and DLP is that it looks like looking through a screen door.
I disagree with this. There is NO screen door effect on my 50" Pioneer plasma and I've not seen the effect on any plasma I've looked at.

·
Premium Member
11,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
I disagree with this. There is NO screen door effect on my 50" Pioneer plasma and I've not seen the effect on any plasma I've looked at.
Actually I see it on a friends Pioneer Elite 50". He even does too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
My problem with plasma, LCD and DLP is that it looks like looking through a screen door.
Those I've seen look more like looking through a window! As in being there. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.