AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my Sony VPL-VW1100es professionally calibrated. I was out of town so I was not there to witness and ask questions. I did get a report, with numbers, graphs, pictographs. Quite frankly I am not sure what to make of all of it. After calibration, I assume that this simply means that if I had a good calibrator, the projector is as close as possible to some standard (THX?). Does it tell me anything about the projector itself, or in comparison to other projectors?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
So I just got my Sony VPL-VW1100es professionally calibrated. I was out of town so I was not there to witness and ask questions. I did get a report, with numbers, graphs, pictographs. Quite frankly I am not sure what to make of all of it. After calibration, I assume that this simply means that if I had a good calibrator, the projector is as close as possible to some standard (THX?). Does it tell me anything about the projector itself, or in comparison to other projectors?
Your calibrator should be willing to go over the reports with you on the phone, as well as help with other questions. There are "sticky" threads at the top of this section of the forum that have been retained due to their popularity and enduring educational value. Here is one that should help you with some of the questions you've posed:

'Display Calibration: Root Fundamentals'

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021933

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Additionally, many consumers and some professionals have a misconception that THX and ISF are standards bodies. They are not. The organizations provide consulting and education services to the program production, equipment manufacturing, and system design/installation/calibration segments of the AV market. They have studied and monitored industry standards, engineering guidelines, recommended practices, and technology developments over the years. Both organizations have distinguished themselves as resources for the proper interpretation of general standards in specific applications. They also provide certification courses for technicians and industry professionals seeking formal training in AV system design and implementation. Certain quality control and performance certification programs are provided to equipment manufacturers as well.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I think I'm the calibrator; I hope it's not too awkward for me to jump in here.
Just to add to George's fine explanation, the video standard your 1100 was calibrated to is called Rec 709. It' performance is now as close to that standard as the adjustments allow. There is a separate light output guideline from SMPTE, I believe, for digital cinemas. I calibrated it to a slightly higher light output than that because it has a new bulb and because of our conversation about your light output preferences.
The graphs can give you an indication of how your pj performed in regards to color accuracy, white balance, gamma, etc that can be compared to the results of other projectors. There are also other pq aspects like resolution and sharpness that are not shown in the graphs.
Feel free to let me know if there is anything in the report that I could help clarify.

sent from my mobile device - HDTVbyChadB.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts