AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm coming up on the end of my 30-day return period on the Samsung TXM3096WHF, and while I've been less than thrilled with that particular model, I know I can't go back to my previous 20" SDTV. I'm thinking about going bigger, but the 140 lb. Samsung is about the biggest TV I feel I could move myself, or even with help. I wouldn't have a problem paying the $35 delivery fee, but the problem is, I'm not planning on living where I am for more than a few more months. I'd have to have anything significantly bigger moved professionally.

So, anybody know what it might cost to have something like a 216 lb. F38310 moved? What about something even bigger, like an RPTV? The distance would be 20 miles at most, just across town. I'm guessing $100-200, which seems acceptable, but if it was significantly more than that I'd have to reconsider my options.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I called around about this a couple of months ago and found out it would be really expesive. Most moving places have a minimum fee, usually it was around $300 or $400 (or even more for a few) even if you only needed one thing moved across town (I only wanted someone to move a TV from the curb up to my third floor apartment). One of the people I talked to told me to look in the paper and see if I can find someone who would do it - she told me a specific name but unfortunately I can't rememeber what it was - maybe someone else on here knows.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Noah
Well, I'm coming up on the end of my 30-day return period on the Samsung TXM3096WHF, and while I've been less than thrilled with that particular model, I know I can't go back to my previous 20" SDTV. I'm thinking about going bigger, but the 140 lb. Samsung is about the biggest TV I feel I could move myself, or even with help. I wouldn't have a problem paying the $35 delivery fee, but the problem is, I'm not planning on living where I am for more than a few more months. I'd have to have anything significantly bigger moved professionally.

So, anybody know what it might cost to have something like a 216 lb. F38310 moved? What about something even bigger, like an RPTV? The distance would be 20 miles at most, just across town. I'm guessing $100-200, which seems acceptable, but if it was significantly more than that I'd have to reconsider my options.
You might want to talk to the store where you would buy it, and negotiate the move at a fixed price into the contract. They have trucks, big guys and motivation.

Phil

·
Registered
235 Posts
a case of beer for your 3 best friends should do the trick

me and my buddie (each 150lbs or less) moved my 34xbr800 up 4 flights of stairs... about 225 lbs said the box

took us 45 minutes resting about every 4 steps... lets just say ill never do that again

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I just moved my RCA F38310 (216 lbs) off the top of the entertainment stand (30" high) and back on again by myself. The secret was getting an industrial cart of about the right height, and I could move the set onto the cart, then move the cart.

I did this to do major changes to wiring and to move the stand a bit, as well as open up the back of the RCA and see what was inside.

Basically, those 200+ lb. sets aren't all that hard to move based on weight...it's just the bulk and lack of handholds that means you need a couple of people.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTSChuck
a case of beer for your 3 best friends should do the trick
I would recommend cracking out the beer after the set is moved, for obvious reasons. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try Audio King, 952 346-1800 ext. 226, that's the warehouse' number.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, unfortunately neither me nor any of my friends are middle linebackers. ;)

Actually I think I probably could handle some more weight. I imagine the difficulty in moving in the 3096 was exaggerated by the fact that I bought it open box (and thus had no box) and the set itself is a bit awkward with no good hand-holds.

I'm looking at a Samsung 42" CRT RPTV, which actually weighs less than the 3096, but is obviously much bigger. Still, if I managed to stash away the box/crate or whatever it comes in (and managed to get it back in later on) I'm thinking I could move it around with some help.

Quote:
You might want to talk to the store where you would buy it, and negotiate the move at a fixed price into the contract. They have trucks, big guys and motivation.

Phil
That's an idea. Somehow I doubt the chain stores like BB and CC would be into that, though. Seems like more of a back room sort of arrangement. $300-400 is simply too much to pay. I can probably settle for 30" if I can just tell myself I'm saving that. There's a lot to appreciate in CRTs, but I'm starting to see the value in compact/lightweight plasma and DLP RPTV units.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Oshee
Try Audio King, 952 346-1800 ext. 226, that's the warehouse' number.
Heh...yeah I bet they'd do it. As long as I don't have to deal with their salesmen. I have never come across a more idiotic bunch of tools. I went into the Roseville Audio King the other day, I start looking over an open box unit. I ask the closest salesman if he can tell me if it was a display unit or return. He's like, "well, I'm not sure, but get our extended warranty." WTF? I wasn't about to buy the thing, I just wanted the story behind it. He offered absolutely no help in finding out its history. I ask the next lackey, again no clue. Then he's starts giving his generic HDTV pitch. I had to correct him several times, explain deinterlacing, etc. I would have felt sorry for the guy except for the fact that he had no desire to check their records for me about the open box unit. I just laughed and walked right out of the store. I know they have a lot of products to cover, but come on, if they spend 20-40 hours/week working in that store, and I have a few spare hours a week for my "hobby," I think they should know this stuff better than me. I don't think I've ever found that to be the case in any electronics store, but the Audio King attitude just rubs the wrong way. At least at Best Buy they don't pretend to know every detail. I have to laugh at BB for listing every RPTV set as DLP a couple months ago, not to mention the fact that the salesmen actually believed it. :D

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nabsltd

Basically, those 200+ lb. sets aren't all that hard to move based on weight...it's just the bulk and lack of handholds that means you need a couple of people.
The KV-34XBR800 actually has two handholds, top and bottom, on each side of the set -- very handy.

I still would not try to move it far without a cart I could just slide it out onto.

Phil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.