AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post and a lot of this stuff is really new to me so bear with me. I am getting ready to move to a new house, thinking about adding CM 8s as the main speakers (I have space constraints and these seem to fit), I could mount CM 5s to the wall, but I think I want towers as fronts. I have CM1s currently, this will be paired with a bw sub and center. I am running this with a Yamaha RX v2400, that is my big question, in reading more about speakers I am wondering if I should upgrade my receiver, and if so does anyone have recommendations?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreatwich  /t/1523236/what-does-it-take-to-pow...-cm8-cm1-sub-and-center-channel#post_24501324

First post and a lot of this stuff is really new to me so bear with me. I am getting ready to move to a new house, thinking about adding CM 8s as the main speakers (I have space constraints and these seem to fit), I could mount CM 5s to the wall, but I think I want towers as fronts. I have CM1s currently, this will be paired with a bw sub and center. I am running this with a Yamaha RX v2400, that is my big question, in reading more about speakers I am wondering if I should upgrade my receiver, and if so does anyone have recommendations?

Your existing AVR seems to be powerful enough for your proposed speaker upgrades.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In a 5 channel setup the 2400 can drive 80wpc. The rating of the cm8 are higher. If you are planning a 5/7 channel setup, I would recommend getting a amp.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You don't know what you're missing until you have real power. A AV amplifier does the well quite well, and that is a good amplifier.

hee hee only 32W lol and that's into 8ohm..like to see 7 channels into 4 ohm.

Quote:
This graph shows that the RX-V2400's left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1% distortion at 102.9 watts and 1% distortion at 130.5 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 158.4 watts and 1% distortion at 195.3 watts. With five channels driving 8-ohm loads, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 43.5 watts and 1% distortion at 44.1 watts. With seven channels driving 8-ohm loads, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 32.3 watts and 1% distortion at 36.9 watts.

Buy a poweramp to bypass that Yamaha..

·
Registered
146 Posts
^ those stats are worse than I thought. Get an amp.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Can tell the power supply isn't up to the job, power is dropping the more channels you connect. That amp would be find for a 2 channel system. Completely pathetic!

This is real power

FTC Full Bandwidth Output Power at 8 Ohms**200 watts 300 watts

FTC Full Bandwidth Output Power at 4 Ohms**300 watts 450 watts

FTC Full Bandwidth Power refers to maximum average power in watts from 20Hz to 20kHz with 0.03% THD and noise

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)

Less than 0.03% at full rated FTC power Less than 0.005% at full EIA power at 1kHz

Intermodulation Distortion (IMD)

Less than 0.03% at full rated FTC power Less than 0.005% at full EIA power at 1kH

Frequency Response at Rated Output

20Hz to 20kHz ±0.1dB

20A circuit required
(USA)

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdream  /t/1523236/what-does-it-take-to-pow...-cm8-cm1-sub-and-center-channel#post_24501727

In a 5 channel setup the 2400 can drive 80wpc. The rating of the cm8 are higher. If you are planning a 5/7 channel setup, I would recommend getting a amp.

I guess you need to understand what a speaker power rating is. It is the maximum power a speaker can dissipate before it can suffer damage. In a typical home theater with typical speakers most of us dissipate about a watt or two on average with peaks in the area of 10 to 20 watts per channel. Yes, there exceptions and the OP could be one but we don't know that. However, the speaker power rating has nothing at all to do with amplifier selection. 80 watts are enough to drive most people out of the room even on peaks. That's why the manufacturers tend to overpower their AV receivers. They want people to be able to play them loudly if they want to. Unused power is simply unused. 20 watts from a an 80 watt amplifier is the same as 20 watts from a 200 watt amplifier.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
It's a 32W amplifier. And that's with 8 ohm speakers, no 6 ohm or 4 ohm ratings, my guess with all 7 channels used, all hard to drive, I bet the figure would be lower than 32W.

clipping and amp shutdown. Trash speakers because too scrooge to buy a quality amp.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1523236/what-does-it-take-to-pow...-cm8-cm1-sub-and-center-channel#post_24501737

You don't know what you're missing until you have real power. A AV amplifier does the well quite well, and that is a good amplifier.

hee hee only 32W lol and that's into 8ohm..like to see 7 channels into 4 ohm.

Buy a poweramp to bypass that Yamaha..

This is a common audiophile myth. In the first place, 32 watts per channel is plenty to drive most home audio systems. But the figures fatbottom has invented here could be true if we were to play test tones through all the speakers simultaneously. In fact we don't. Surround speakers, for example, represent less than 1% of the power dissipated by a home theater system. You can ignore those for practical purposes and consider only three channels. Those channels don't play test tones either, they play sounds that vary constantly in level and and don't always play all the channels at the same time. The reality is most AV receivers are overpowered. The reason is that the manufacturer would experience heavy returns and a bad reputation if the amps distorted all the time.

Two important truths. The first is that most separate amplifiers are bought because they are wanted, not because they are needed. The second is that amplifier power is one of the least important aspects of configuring a home audio system. What really matters are speakers and the acoustics of the room in which they are placed.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1523236/what-does-it-take-to-pow...-cm8-cm1-sub-and-center-channel#post_24501844

It's a 32W amplifier. And that's with 8 ohm speakers, no 6 ohm or 4 ohm ratings, my guess with all 7 channels used, all hard to drive, I bet the figure would be lower than 32W.

clipping and amp shutdown. Trash speakers because too scrooge to buy a quality amp.

I think that is poor guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Okay, it seems like there is some dissension among the ranks!!  I realize the receiver is older and that is part of why I am asking for help, any recommendations on an upgrade to a different receiver would be appreciated, thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreatwich  /t/1523236/what-does-it-take-to-pow...-cm8-cm1-sub-and-center-channel#post_24502103

Okay, it seems like there is some dissension among the ranks!!  I realize the receiver is older and that is part of why I am asking for help, any recommendations on an upgrade to a different receiver would be appreciated, thanks for all the input.

Get your new speakers set up in your new home and hook them up to

Your AVR and LISTEN first! You might be pleasantly surprised! FMW's

Logic is very sound,others not so much.

If you feel that your system is lacking then you can look into upgrades.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreatwich  /t/1523236/what-does-it-take-to-pow...-cm8-cm1-sub-and-center-channel#post_24502103

Sorry but this thread will turn like all others when a new member ask about the best AVR to buy. A pissing match about power. Get an AVR that has the features you want within your budget and try it out in your room and if it doesn't do what you want return it. Simple as that. A lot of very capable AVR's out there. Depending on budget. Yamaha most reliable and best all around. Denon IMO has fallen behind sister company Marantz. Onkyo can't recommend due to high rate of HDMI board failure. Then there's Anthem, NAD, H/K, Cambridge that all have models that work very well also. Find the one with the features you need and want and get it. Also welcome to the forum and get ready for the debates on your thread. Enjoy because you are going to get all kinds of responses. Some helpful and others that will make you laugh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks all, my thought after reading these threads is to go ahead and set up the speakers with the current receiver, and then try to demo alternate receivers and listen for the difference, thanks again for the input, definitely appreciated - seems like I have a lot to learn - should be fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts